Under the direction of the Supervisor, Aquatics, the successful candidate will assist in the provision and promotion of safe enjoyable aquatic programs and services to meet the needs of the community.
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree or diploma in Recreation, Physical Education or a related field along with three years recreation experience in an aquatic setting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three years of Supervisory Experience at a progressive level
- Must hold and maintain a minimum of: National Lifeguard; Standard First Aid/CPR-C from one of the following agencies: Lifesaving Society, Red Cross, St. John Ambulance or Canadian Ski Patrol; Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor and Lifesaving Society Lifesaving Instructor certifications, Aquatic Supervisory Training or Aquatic Management Training;
- Must be certified in High Five- PHCD and Quest 2
- NL Instructor, and Lifesaving Society First Aid Instructor, Lifesaving Society Instructor Trainer, Bronze Cross Examiner and Lifesaving Society Advanced Instructor certifications are definite assets.
- Professional accreditation and or training in aquatic fitness and aquatic post rehabilitation, older adult programming or related services, development and delivery of general recreation programming -is preferred
- Must be proficient in computer software application including Word, Excel, CLASS Software (program registration, program maintenance and report printing) and SAP Software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships, provide excellent customer service and work in a team environment with changing priorities.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to complete work in an accurate and timely manner.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure a safe, clean, aquatic environment for the public and staff in accordance with applicable regulations, guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Assist in the hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of part-time staff.
- Liaise with community groups, schools and hospitals as needed.
- Implement and monitor aquatic programs and services, including therapeutic aquatic programs.
- Provide direct supervision in the absence of the Supervisor.
- Ensure administrative processes are adhered to, documented and auditable
- Motivate, inspire, develop and influence staff and volunteers to their maximum performance.
- Provide on-deck, on-site direction, supervision, evaluation and training of staff and volunteers when on duty.
- Prepare for, respond to and follow-up on accidents and incidents in the facility.
- Maintain existing City Recreation standards in program delivery.
- Conduct High Five audits to ensure compliance to standards.
- Maintain required statistics and prepare reports as required.
- Input part-time payroll and provide reports as needed.
- Assist with monitoring and recommending annual budget.
- Provide leadership to outdoor pool operations (where applicable).
- Model quality customer service on a daily basis.
- Assume the role of Manager on Duty on a regular basis.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $61,194 - $81,593 ($33.62 - $44.83)
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Various
Department/Division/Section: CMS/Community Services Dept , CMS/Recreation Division , Aquatics, Therapeutic & Fitness
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.