Do you have a genuine love for animals and are looking for the opportunity to make a difference?
The City of Mississauga is seeking someone who has a strong work-ethic, is motivated to help educate the community, has excellent customer service and wants to help wildlife live cohesively with our residents? We hope you will consider joining our team.
Animal Services Officers will enforce all applicable by-laws, regulations and ordinances regulating the care of wild and domestic animals; patrol assigned areas and investigate complaints; provide public information and education to the community to improve people and animals lives.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will carry out enforcement of the Animal Care and Control By‑laws, and Provincial legislation. Responsibilities will include:
- Perform investigations of complaints regarding violations of the Animal Care and Control By-law, 0098-04
- Enforce the licensing of dogs and cats through door to door, routine checks and follow ups
- Follow up on Notices of Contravention for licensing and various offences
- Proactively enforce the by-law by patrolling designated areas and responding to various complaints, including dog bites from the general public in particular with respect to animals at large
- Issuing violation tickets and appearing in court to give evidence as required
- Handling of domestic and wild animals, birds and reptiles as required
- Pick up and removal of dead animal cadavers from private and public property
- Act as an ambassador of Animal Services by educating the public and promoting animal care by attending events and participating in outreach initiatives as required
- Must maintain and provide evidence, such as journal/logs in a legible and defensible manner to support any charges that are laid.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Graduation from a community college with a diploma in Law Enforcement/Police Sciences or equivalent is required. 3-5 years of Animal Services, law enforcement or by-law enforcement experience preferred
- Previous animal handling experience is required
- Customer Service focused with demonstrated ability to communicate and deal effectively with the public required
- Demonstrate sound judgement when enforcing the by-laws to strike the balance between education and enforcement
- Solid administrative, reporting and time management skills are required
- Working knowledge of the City's by-laws and provincial offences, as well as familiarity with court protocols for giving evidence is preferred
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position including lifting of 50lbs or more, bending, twisting, and working in adverse weather conditions
- Flexibility for shift work including weekends, statutory holidays, day/afternoon/night shift is required.
- It will be necessary for the successful candidate to receive an anti-rabies vaccination or to provide a recent rabies titer check
- This position is part of the bargaining unit.
- A clear vulnerable criminal record search will also be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted
- Must hold a valid class “G" Licence with a driving record in good standing and acceptable to the City. A Driver's Abstract will be required
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 28.91 - $ 38.55
Hours of Work:
Work Location: Animal Services Centre
Department/Division/Section: T&W/Transportation&Works Dept , T&W/Enforcement Division , Animal Services
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.