Under the leadership of the Manager, Sport and Community Development in the City’s Recreation Division, the successful candidate will lead the Sports Development and Customer Service Team which serves as the primary point of contact for all community facility bookings, program registrations, community sport organizations related to facility allocation, programming, facility and sport field operations, and oversees the administration of citywide programs, leagues and agreements with program providers. This position manages and oversees the implementation and execution of the Arena and Outdoor Sport Field Allocation Policies, and liaises with stakeholders in regards to User Fee Policies with responsibility for applying the Fees and Rates Bylaw and other key policies related to Bookings and Registration. Works with internal and external stakeholders with the long-term goal of developing a dynamic, collaborative, engaged and sustainable community sport delivery system in Mississauga, and a responsive customer service team which provides access to city facilities and programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead a team that delivers customer service and sport related programs and services focused on providing excellent customer service to community sport groups, service providers and both internal and external customers across the City.
- Chair the Sport Field User Network, the Arena User Network, the internal Sport Matters group and participate at the internal Arena Management
- Develop policy and approaches to facilitate and build capacity within a network of volunteer organizations delivering recreation and sport in Mississauga
- Negotiate and implement legal agreements related to joint use of facilities or capital contributions from school boards and community sport organizations
- Coordinate implementation of sport facility needs outlined in Future Directions – the City’s long-term plan. Conduct research and develop business cases and budget requests for needed facilities and participate in facility design and operational planning for new facilities
- Develop, interpret and apply corporate policy and procedure related to facility allocation and user fees for outdoor sport facilities, ice and floor pads
- Develop and implement practices that optimize arena and sport field facility use and revenue generation. Guide development of statistical information and business performance reports used for senior leadership and council.
- Develop annual work plan for Customer Service Centres unit, preparation and administration of the CSC’s current budget; liaising with officials, other departments, the public, outside agencies, consultants, residents and special interest groups related to customer service centre operations, as required; providing recommendations on customer service issues and for handling difficult customers;
- Develop business cases with supporting justification to advance strategic interests such as customer-friendly online and self-service technologies; initiating business practice reviews to identify efficiencies and prepare recommendations for Recreation Leadership Team.
- Participate in the development and review of corporate policies related to the pricing and administration of services ; ensuring business processes comply with corporate policies and standards; guiding development of key performance metrics; ensuring business process and practices meet service delivery requirements and systems are in place to ensure continuous improvement.
- Provide sensitive issue management that relies on a highly developed knowledge of municipal government practices and approval processes. Develop and prepare correspondence including briefing notes, corporate reports, and corporate policies using political acuity, logic and exceptional judgment skills
- Oversee the administration of citywide programs such as learn to skate, drop in arena programs and sport leagues, ensuring they are successfully marketed, operated and administered.
- Administer the agreements with third-party Recreation program providers and management/operating agreements for City facilities as liaison for these groups.
- Participates as a member of the, Recreation Management Team, Corporate, Departmental, and Divisional Working Groups, Committees, and Special Projects
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- You will have graduated from a recognized university or college with a degree in Recreation, Physical Education, Sports Management, Business Administration or equivalent and bring at least 5 years of progressive people leadership experience.
- You have demonstrated experience in conducting work process designs and conducting business process reviews, advising on and supporting the implementation of new technologies, undertaking business analysis, and managing projects.
- Demonstrated ability to coach, mentor and lead a dynamic, multi focused unit to deliver successful outcomes
- You have experience with interfacing with political leadership.
- You are a strong, persuasive communicator that naturally enjoys preparing written business correspondence and reports for a wide ranging internal audience and the public.
- You strive for innovation and excellence by leading a results-oriented team.
- You are engaging and comfortable when facilitating discussions or public consultations and have demonstrated experience building partnerships.
- You are strategic in your approach to addressing complex issues and demonstrate accountability for the performance of your team by ensuring the impact of strategies and programs is measured and shared widely.
Note: Flexible work hours are required, including evenings and weekends.
#LI-CPS / #LI-CMS / #LI-TW / #LI-PB / #LI-CMO / #LI-DNP
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 99,139.00 - $ 132,180.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: 201 City Centre Drive
Department/Division/Section: CMS/Community Services Dept , CMS/Recreation Division , Sport & Community Development
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.