The Economic Development Life Sciences Business Consultant position is responsible for implementing a Life Sciences Sector Program that helps sustain and grow the sector in Mississauga. Working directly with life sciences companies and other relevant stakeholders, the Business Consultant will improve local business outcomes; encourage stakeholder connections and increase business competitiveness to grow a cohesive local Life Sciences ecosystem.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Manager, Business Investment and Sector Development, and as a key member of the Economic Development Office team, you will provide leadership and support to the Economic Development Office in the implementation of Mississauga's Life Sciences Strategy. This includes a series of programs that will advance Mississauga's Life Sciences cluster, including:
- Develop and implement an annual budget based sector work-plan.
- Act as client relationship manager, consulting with sector clients on a confidential basis with a high degree of tact and professionalism. Provide advice and assistance to companies, enhance business networks, market and promote key sector initiatives and act as an occasional project manager.
- Design and deliver of presentations to stakeholder groups including business leaders, other orders of government, regulatory bodies and industry associations.
- Recommend, plan and coordinate the City's participation in domestic and international conferences, trade shows, and promote Mississauga’s Life Sciences Cluster to national and international businesses, delegations and other audiences.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science, relevant business degree or related post-secondary education in the sciences, business or relevant business experience
- Excellent business acumen, ability to work independently and as a team player
- Demonstrates strong written, verbal and presentation skills
- Preference will be given to those who possess a minimum of three years’ experience in the life science sector. However, experience in similar sectors will be considered. Successful candidates will have demonstrated an ability to achieve performance targets and work in a high paced environment.
- Experience in analyzing sector data, companies and industries; leading options assessments and making sector specific policy recommendations; and experience in the successful implementation of a multiyear strategy are considered valuable assets.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 77,888.00 - $ 103,852.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Civic Centre
Organization Unit: CMO/Business Invest & Client Services
Department/Division/Section: CMO/City Manager's Office , CMO/Economic Dev Office , Business Invest & Client Services
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.