Reporting to the Branch Manager, the successful candidate will provide reference and readers' advisory.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for selection and maintenance of collections; may participate on selection committees.
- Plans and conducts programs, class visits, tours, outreach and displays. May liaise with local schools, community and/or professional agencies. Promotes library services and collections.
- In the absence of more senior staff, is responsible for the department or branch.
- Participates in supervision, scheduling, training and/or evaluation.
- May participate on task teams and special projects. May prepare reports as requested by management.
- Maintains an awareness of current trends in library and related fields.
- Other duties as assigned.
- SUNDAY WORK MAY BE REQUIRED.
Please note: This is a bargaining unit position. CUPE Local 1989 members will be given consideration for this vacancy, as per the collective agreement, followed by all other employees.
Prospective applicants should consult article 16.05 of the Collective Agreement under job postings.
Skills and Qualifications
- A recognized library science or information studies degree.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are essential in dealing with the staff and public.
- Critical knowledge of electronic information resources and services, Symphony, Internet and CD-Rom Databases.
- Office automation skills are essential.
- Demonstrated ability in the use of Symphony, Outlook, Power Point and JetForms.
- Knowledge of Word and Excel is an asset.
- Effective oral and written skills in English are required.
- Hours of work for full time staff to include two evenings per week and alternate Saturdays.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $32.72 - $39.43 (Based on Salary Grade 5 $59,543 - $71,763)
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Work Location: Malton Library
Department/Division/Section: CMS/Community Services Dept , CMS/Library Administration , Library Facilities & Operations
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.