To lead the Recreation Division’s, District Operations in the provision and facilitation of a broad range of recreation, leisure and heritage facilities, programs, services and events in all community recreation facilities, for all interests, ages and demographics. To work in collaboration with community organizations, 3rd party providers, industry stakeholders and affiliates to ensure facilities and services are provided safely, reflect City strategic plan priorities and align with industry best practices. Key results include maximizing participation, maximize user fee revenue, control expenditures and execute partnership opportunities to enhance value of service. Ensure line of business plans address current and anticipated need through the implementation of service plans and performance measures. As a member of the Recreation Leadership Team develop and implement a range of strategic, service and master plans and divisional projects and initiatives that respond to Council and corporate priorities; Develop and hold staff accountable to corporate policy and divisional standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director, Recreation, manages all human, fixed and other resources in the district team environment.
- Recommends through the Director of Recreation new or revised service levels and delivery policies to meet public needs.
- Responsible for the proactive planning, implementation and co-ordination of customer service delivery for community development, seniors centres, community centre’s, arenas golf courses and community halls .
- Manages the recruitment, training, evaluation and scheduling of staff resources to meet the expectations of the public for the delivery of programs, events, facilities and services.
- Ensures due diligence is undertaken by district staff concerning risk management and occupational health and safety issues.
- Develops corporate relationships with representatives of agencies and boards within district.
- Maintains and creates revenue sources through program delivery, service levels and facility allocation adjustments.
- Assists the Director and Commissioner in developing master plans in carrying out feasibility and business studies to meet future growth demands in the City.
- Prepares Corporate Reports and recommendations for the Director, Commissioner, Leadership Team Committee and Council as required.
- Manages capital and current district budgets and contributes to the division budget and corporate business planning processes.
- Responsible for program and operational standards compliance within the District.
- Responsible for statutory compliance of employee human rights, WSIB, labour standards, environment, corporate policies and property by-laws affecting City building/lands.
- Champions Two-Way communication and continuous improvement within the District and as a member of the Division leadership team.
- Resolves community and Ward Councilors’ issues and concerns.
- Participates as a member of the Recreation Leadership Team, Corporate, Developmental and Division working groups, Committees, or special projects.
Skills and Qualifications
- Graduation from a recognized university in Recreation, Physical Education, Public Administration along with minimum of 7 years directly related experience at the management level.
- Demonstrated supervisory, performance management, leadership and team-building skills. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to liaise effectively with the public, elected officials and outside agencies.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the principles of customer service, recreation services delivery, facilities management, business planning, budget management, municipal administration and human resources management.
- Experience and knowledge of ice arena and aquatic facilities strongly preferred.
- Experience managing a portfolio of facilities preferred.
- Successful applicant must be prepared to transfer between district operations, with proper notice, as operational needs require.
#LI-CPS / #LI-CMS / #LI-TW / #LI-PB / #LI-CMO / #LI-DNP
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 111,033.00 - $ 148,042.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: 201 City Centre Drive
Department/Division/Section: CMS/Community Services Dept , CMS/Recreation Division , North District
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.