The Customer Service Representative receives and processes permit applications and various types of payments following all relevant City policies. The position also provides information to staff and customers, provides back up and support to other team members, attends meetings and contributes to the efficiencies of the Transportation and Works Customer Service Counter.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responds to customer walk-in, e-mail, telephone or fax inquiries, provides guidance and answers questions regarding counter services, and refers customers to the appropriate City sections or staff for assistance
- Receives permit applications and ensures that all required application information and associated documentation is submitted and correct
- Enters and processes permit applications in an enterprise system in a timely manner
- Tracks permit application progress, enters updated information and processes the permit
- Advises applicants of the status of their permit application and the required fees and/or security deposits payments
- Receives and processes payments and deposits, including Letters of Credit, ensuring compliance with all Cash Handling Policies
- Enter invoicing information into SAP for departmental approval. Ensure the safe keeping of funds and sensitive information, and maintains records
- Ensures that customers are informed of changes, for example annual User Fees and Charges, new application procedures and requirements, and method of payment
- Interacts and collaborates with other divisions and sections regarding the permit process, fee payments, security deposits and other counter services
- File documents and records in accordance to all relevant policies.
- Attends and participates in meetings and keeps up to date with all procedure and policy changes
- Performs other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in Business Administration or a related field
- Minimum 2-3 years of counter/customer service experience dealing with permits and/or payments
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with the ability to explain complex procedures to customers and others
- Excellent interpersonal skills for working in a multi-tasking customer service environment
- Experience in cash handling procedures, including reconciling daily cash, Point of Sales transactions and preparation of bank deposits
- Strong attention to detail and math skills are required to ensure correct amounts are processed and allocated to the appropriate account numbers
- Strong computer skills and a basic understanding of database systems
- Experience with Infor Public Sector Enterprise System is an asset
- Able to manage seasonal workloads and multitask on a regular basis
- Strong organizational skills combined with the ability to work productively and collaboratively with the immediate team, staff, residents, contractors and external agencies
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as work collaboratively in a team environment
- Must maintain a high standard of confidentiality with sensitive information
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 47,263.00 - $ 63,018.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Mavis Yard: Common Building
Department/Division/Section: T&W/Transportation&Works Dept , T&W/Works Operations & Mntce Division , Technical Services
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.