The Courier/Receiver is an essential support position for the library. The Courier/Receiver manages the flow of library materials and program resources for customer and staff use across the eighteen branches of the Mississauga Library system and to our homebound customers. The position requires a professional operator to drive and maintain a cube van to deliver library materials and program supplies to our branches, and the physical handling of large quantities of materials. Attention to detail is important as the position is also responsible for the receipt and verification of new library materials and goods and effective sortation of those to ensure timely delivery to our branches. This position requires a communicative team player who can work effectively with other team members to ensure that materials are sorted, received and delivered in a timely manner. The successful incumbent will be responsible for lifting 25 Kg on a regular basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the Manager, Material Handling, the successful candidate provides pick-up and delivery courier service for seventeen branches and the Central Library of the Mississauga Library System, as well as Homebound deliveries on a scheduled basis.
- Driving duties include the safe delivery of library materials, correspondence, supplies, and other materials through the use of 400 to 600 tranship boxes daily.
- Sorting branch materials for assigned route.
- Following scheduled routes.
- Responsibility for the safe operation and maintenance of the vehicles.
- Mail Room duties include logging of all incoming shipments and deliveries.
- Internal mail distribution and other pick-ups and deliveries throughout Central Library and filling supply requisitions for the system.
- Materials Handling duties include unpacking and verification of new library materials and their distribution.
- Sorting Central library materials.
- Packaging and managing donation materials.
- Working effectively with team members to ensure successful completion of work. Collaboration on shared tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Secondary School graduation with 1 to 2 years of shipping and receiving experience required.
- Effective oral and written skills in English are essential.
- Must possess a valid Ontario Class “G” Driver's License and excellent driving record.
- Must be able to lift 25 kg on a regular and continuous daily basis.
- Experience in driving a cube van and operating and maintaining a vehicle for road safety is required.
- Knowledge of the City and Library branch locations is an asset.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
Essential Duties: Major Functions and % of time
- Courier: Drive to deliver/pickup tranship boxes, programming materials and school books to school boards
- Courier: Sort tranship boxes
- Receiver: Unpack, check, sort materials delivered by vendors to be received and catalogued
- Receiver: Prepares material for shipping, manages the receipt and packaging of donations from all branches and fills supply requests
- Courier: Maintain stats of timing; Receiver: Maintains receipts, packing slips, and verifies against invoices, deliver mail/stationery supplies internally at Central Library
- Courier truck (with height adjustable ramp), dolly, walkie (electric lift), tranship boxes, cell phone, gloves, work boots
- Marker/labels, tranship boxes, dolly, gloves, work boots
- Dolly, walkie, library trucks (carts)
- Computer, gloves, work boots
- Valid Ontario driver’s license with excellent driving record; secondary school diploma; 1-2 years of shipping/receiving experience; ability to safely perform physical demands of job; experience in driving a cube van and operating & maintaining a vehicle for road safety; effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of City and branch locations (including tenants at Central Library location)
Essential Duties: Working Conditions
Communication: Basic Writing
Communication: Verbal and/or Speaking
Equipment: City Vehicle
Equipment: Hand/Power Tools
Equipment: Photocopier and/or Fax
Equipment: Smart Phone/Tablet
Physical Demands: Lifting / Carrying
Physical Demands: Sitting
Physical Demands: Standing
Physical Demands: Walking
Work Conditions: Cold Temperatures
Work Conditions: Hot Temperatures
Work Conditions: Indoors
Work Conditions: Outdoors
Work Conditions: Travel
Note: This is a contract for up to 6 months
Hourly Rate/Salary: 21.62 - 25.96
Hours of Work: 35 hours
Work Location: Mississauga Central Library
Department/Division/Section: CMS/Community Services Dept , CMS/Library Administration , Digital Library Services & Collect
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.