Are you a dynamic individual looking for a job that combines your creativity and enthusiasm with the opportunity to be part of a changing environment? Would you like to be part of a team that challenges the status quo and continually offers new and innovative ideas? If this is you, the City of Mississauga, Transportation & Works has the ideal job for you. Reporting to the Fleet Manager, you will be managing the City’s Telematics (TMX) program, with a focus on implementing performance metrics to support business units in making data supported decisions that will drive operational efficiencies and reduce operating costs. You will be responsible for developing a strategy to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in support of the City’s Climate Change Action Plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Fleet Manager, the Business Improvement Specialist will provide oversight, coordination, implementation and management of the City’s Telematics (TMX) program; including developing strategies to achieve Smart City insights.
- Develop and Implement actions related to the City’s Climate Change Action Plan. Monitor and report the City’s achievements related to Green Fleet initiatives.
- Conduct research into assigned areas ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, legislation and initiatives by other levels or government and/or private industry.
- Influence and build collaborative relationships with various city Divisions/Departments to help drive performance efficiencies through providing innovative analytics and insight through TMX and other sources of data.
- Develop business area specific Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s), automate reports and/or alerts based on the specific needs of individual stakeholders.
- Coach stakeholders on habits that enable a culture of change management.
- Report to Senior Leadership on the benefits derived from actions taken to improve operations, cost savings, increased safety or other.
- Act as the single point of contact for all stakeholders on any TMX related issues.
- Monitor TMX data/system accuracy, provide reports on demand as required by various stakeholders.
- Monitor TMX hardware and software performance and proactively address any issues.
- Coordinate installations, repairs, and replacements of TMX related hardware, working with vendors, service personnel and operations to ensure maximum TMX uptime and minimize operating disruptions.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in a professional discipline (Business administration, Business Management, Economics, Computer science or Supply Chain Logistics) pertinent to the job function, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience in contract management, as well as experience negotiating with, and managing third party service providers.
- 3-5 years’ experience developing key performance indicators and measures for use at management and operational levels and or 3-5 years of work experience in change management or continuous improvement.
- 1-3 years’ experience working on environmental and sustainability issues preferably Fleet related.
- Advanced certification in Lean or Six Sigma (Green or Black Belt) preferred.
- Proven experience in applying well-developed problem-solving and decision making skills.
- Strong analytical skills with expertise in researching, interpreting, data management and report generation.
- Demonstrated experience in continuous improvement initiatives, through the application of Lean methodology, including process measurement, analysis, process improvement identification, planning, execution, validation and control.
- Demonstrated competency with re-engineering of business processes, benchmarking and development of meaningful performance metrics is an asset.
- Ability to meet deadlines and set priorities with effective distribution of time and effort.
- Advanced skillset with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint with the ability to quickly learn and navigate new programs as required.
- Comfortable with building relationships, handling conflict and influencing without authority.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, leadership skills are required as are excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Self-starter with an ability to both work independently, as well as the ability to effectively function in a team environment is a must.
- Must hold a valid Ontario Driver’s License, and have a driver’s abstract in good standing acceptable to the City.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 68,431.00 - $ 91,245.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Mavis Yard: Common Building
Department/Division/Section: T&W/Transportation&Works Dept , T&W/Works Operations & Mntce Division , Service Centre
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.