- Prepare journal entries for revenue and expense accounts, internal billing, deferred revenue, including researching discrepancies and making appropriate adjustments (Journal entries prepared directly into COMET or via spreadsheet journal upload).
- Prepare complex reports using mathematical reasoning, providing detailed historical analysis of various activities, accounts and generate month end summary reports.
- Accurately balance payments and other accounting activities through review and reconciliation of various systems (COMET, Cognos, Enquesta, Mobi, M5, US Bank, IDIS, EBMS, Loadrite)
- Support professional accounting staff by analyzing and preparing accounting records and reports, and acting as a liaison with customer departments.
- Review financial transactions for coding errors, research root-cause issues and recommend appropriate corrective actions to eliminate or reduce future errors and inconsistencies.
- Collect, organize and analyze information on assigned projects and subject areas, and prepare reports summarizing findings and presenting logical and objective findings.
- Process accounting and financial transactions in PeopleSoft.
- Maintain electronic and/or paper financial reporting records as needed.
- Audit payment requests for compliance with the terms and conditions of the contract.
- Review and research out-of-balance conditions taking corrective action as needed.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls over processes, and ensure compliance with City and department policies and procedures.
- Act as a liaison between customer departments, and the Procure to Pay process (Procurement, Contract Management, the Central Requisition Group, and Accounts Payable) at the City, providing help in navigating the procurement/contract process.
- Assist departments with blanket purchase order requests, closure of unused purchase orders and putting funds back in contracts.
- Maintain, coordinate, review, prepare P-Card transactions and apply policies and procedures related to Procurement card; travel; employee reimbursements.
- Process invoices in PeopleSoft financial systems for payment.
- Review and reconcile vendor statements.
- Contact vendors and department staff as needed.
- Create requisitions for departments to procure goods or services.
- Manage electronic invoices and route invoices to department staff for approval.
- Review all financial transactions to ensure compliance with various grant terms and conditions.
Required Qualifications: Required Education
Eighteen months Post High School training in accounting or related
Three years of experience performing duties in accounting and bookkeeping, including working with automated financial systems and analyzing financial reports and accounting documents to verify accuracy
An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting, bookkeeping, and business principles, office methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of and the ability to create and maintain complex spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of computer systems and software programs used in the assigned are including the operation and care of peripheral equipment.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- High attention to detail.