• Perform and/or supervise a variety of accounting tasks, including planning, organizing,
delegating, and monitoring assigned accounting activities.
- Act as a technical consultant to management, staff members, and customers on
financial issues, providing general information and guidance.
- Coordinate, review, analyze and monitor all budgets submitted by the assigned
departments, and assist in the preparation of related financial, and business plans.
- Provide technical assistance to, and financial monitoring of sub-recipient organizations
to comply with grant requirements.
- Audit and analyze accounting records and statements, including budget to actual
comparisons, reasonability of account balances, and preparation of financial
- Prepare financial statements, reports, and notes to financial statements on a monthly,
quarterly, and annual basis including preparation of the City's comprehensive annual
financial report (CAFR)
- Provide financial information to State Auditors as requested.
- Manage the accounting for and financial reporting of revenues, and expenditures,
capital assets of grant funds, and related billing and reimbursement request processes.
- Recommend and assist with the development of new accounting systems and
- Review internal control and accounting practices of the department's purchasing and
inventory, billing, payroll, accounts receivable, etc.
- Establish, update and report periodically on Cash Forecasting.
- Maintain logs of confidential funds ensuring that all funds are segregated an
- Recommend changes in accounting practices to conform to City ordinances and other
- Develop and maintain Federal and City accounts.
- Supervise Accountants and Account Technicians, including participation in hiring, training,
evaluating, disciplining delegating, monitoring, and managing the work of these staff.
- Train staff in use of the accounting system and procedures, reviewing their work
providing any additional assistance needed.
- Provide technical assistance to non-grant funded activities that include the preparation
of required reports, processing of invoices, etc.
- Perform special accounting projects and financial analysis as required.
- Analyze requests for bond issues, expenditure requests.
Normal Office Setting
Bachelor's Degree with the major in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, a closely related field or equivalent
Two years professional level accounting experience, which has included preparing financial statements and reports, developing and monitoring budgets, monitoring grant expenditures and reimbursements, general ledger, cost, or fund accounting.
An equivalent combination of education and experience closely related to the duties of the position MAY be considered.
A resume is required. Cover Letters are encouraged.
The selection process will consist of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score (70%) on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The City of Minneapolis Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
The hiring authority reserves the right to determine the maximum number of candidates to interview from the established eligible list. If the hiring authority decides to interview other than by exam score order, they may select additional people to interview based on a candidate's education or experience related to the field, work history, or skills uniquely related to the operational needs of the position.
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be further considered for the position.
This position is Non-represented. For more information on the terms and conditions of this agreement please visit: Non-represented.
Eligible List Statement
The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire three months after it has been established.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: • Knowledge of the principles of public finance administration and modern accounting
- Considerable knowledge of governmental, cost and general accounting principles,
including standards set by GASB, federal and state agencies and State and local
- Knowledge of the law as it relates to professional accounting activities.
- Good knowledge of the City's budget process and procedures and of existing finance
policies and their application.
- Knowledge of City software systems such as PeopleSoft Financials (Comet),
HRIS, COGNOS, data warehouse, etc.
- Knowledge of human resources management principles and practices
- Management and supervision skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to analyze and interpret abstract data, and put it into a meaningful format.
- Oral and written communication skills.