Applications are now being accepted for a regular full-time Waterworks Operator I in the Environmental Services - Waterworks Department, Operations & Maintenance section of the Community & Fire Services Commission. While all applications will be received, current members of CUPE 905 (Outside Workers) will be given first consideration. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume online by December 17, 2019.
Reporting to the Waterworks Supervisor, operate and maintain the City of Markham Water Distribution, Wastewater Collection and Storm Sewer Systems in accordance with departmental policies, procedures, and regulatory compliance. Provide assistance and participate in the maintenance and immediate repair of the overall water/wastewater/stormwater infrastructure system and assets; provide associated customer service, general labour and equipment maintenance.
- Operate and maintain the water distribution system and appurtenances to ensure regulatory compliance with respect to water quality and provision of a continuous supply of water for consumption and firefighting purposes; operates the system in accordance with corporate and departmental policies and procedures, applicable bylaws, Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks standards, guidelines, act and regulations.
- Operate and maintain the wastewater collection system and appurtenances to ensure regulatory compliance; continuous delivery of wastewater collection service and maintenance of an efficient infrastructure in accordance with corporate and departmental policies and procedures, applicable bylaws, Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks standards, guidelines, act and regulations.
- Assist and/or conduct various inspections of new water, wastewater and stormwater systems to ensure the infrastructure meets City standards and specifications. Perform locating and marking services for the noted infrastructure including tie-ins, record keeping, completion of computerized work orders and customer service requests.
- Assist in promotion and education activities regarding the City’s water, wastewater and stormwater systems such as Water on Wheels (WOW) and other public education events. Provide customer service and respond to various public inquiries as required.
- Liaison with residents, businesses, contractors, consultants, internal departments, and other municipalities related to water quality and systems operations and investigate complaints.
- Perform miscellaneous shop duties, including maintenance of facilities, equipment and vehicles to ensure optimal performance and safe working conditions, and their availability to respond to daily activities or emergency situations.
- Participate in Waterworks Emergency Preparedness Plan and related training including emergency response as required. Provide emergency service involving the Water and Sewer System during or after hours; conduct assessment and immediate repairs and/or protection measures to ensure public health and safety and information in accordance with departmental policies and procedures. Ensures compliance with Health & Safety Act and City's Health & Safety policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent plus a minimum of 1 year maintenance experience in water, sanitary or storm system.
- Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks Class I Water Distribution Operator Certificate or Class I Waste Water Collection Operator Licence, or both.
- Must be physically able to perform the bona fide duties of the job including heavy lifting.
- Class G driver's licence; DZ preferred. Must have a clean driver's abstract (0 demerit points, no more than 1 moving violation and no more than 1 non-moving violation) and be able to upgrade to a DZ licence. As a condition of employment you will required to provide a satisfactory drivers abstract.
- Technical skills, specializing in water, wastewater and stormwater systems equipment operation, i.e. SCADA, SMA, DMA, pumping stations, flusher vacuum truck, sewer lateral CCTV camera and data collection, auto samplers etc.
- Confined Space Entry Training including SCBA rescue training as an asset.
- As a condition of employment, you will be required to submit medical documentation of physical ability to perform the duties of the position, along with a satisfactory police records check as approved by the City of Markham.
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.