Applications are now being accepted for the above position in the Engineering Department, Development Services Commission. To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter online by April 4, 2019.
Reporting to the Manager, Traffic Engineering, you will assist in the day-to-day needs of the Transportation Group in particular and Engineering Department as a whole, including assisting in conducting active transportation initiatives and events, traffic and transportation data collection and analysis, consolidation of the City’s traffic by-law, and development review.
- Assist in the conduct and participate in active transportation education, promotional and participatory programs and initiatives.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of traffic data, including traffic control justification warrants and pedestrian/cycling safety issues. Conduct site visits to provide a summary of observation/findings.
- Assist in the review of technical assessments and transportation impact studies of Official Plan Amendment Applications, Zoning By-law Amendment Applications, Subdivision Applications and Site Plan Applications and prepare comments detailing results of the technical reviews.
- Assist in the review, development and preparation of engineering drawings and tender documents/specifications including the preparation of drawings using computer aided design software.
- Assist Transportation staff with day to day administrative duties including updating and consolidation of the City’s Traffic by-law.
- Other duties as required
- Enrolled in a post-secondary institution in Civil or environmental engineering or related field.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated experience in research projects. Ability to work concurrently on multiple projects/assignments and meet regular deadlines independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, customer service, data entry and telecommunication skills. Ability to work on own initiative and to organize and coordinate multiple assignments
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however on those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.