Please note: The VarleyMcKay Foundation of Markham is the employer for this position. All applications received will be forwarded to the Foundation for consideration.
Applications are now being accepted for the Social Media and Marketing Assistant position in the Economic Growth, Culture & Entrepreneurship Department, Development Services Commission. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume online by May 25, 2019.
- Start and End Dates: June 24, 2019 – August 23, 2019 (9 weeks)
- Work schedule: Monday – Friday 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
The Social Media and Marketing Assistant supports the Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham’s Development Officer in the coordination of the production, distribution and collection of information about the Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham and its programs to the media, board members, volunteers, employees and the general public. This will be accomplished through the production of e-blasts, e-newsletter articles, advertisements, announcements and maintaining current content on the Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham website and social media channels.
The Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham serves to acquire a collection of art, objects and documentary material in respect of the collection, to provide support for the educational programs and activities of the Varley Art Gallery. The Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham generates, through donations, fund raising events (particularly Rouge: Varley Gala) and campaigns, funds to support the Varley Art Gallery and its programs. On an annual basis, the Varley welcomes 50,000 visitors which include members of the community who participate in tours, educational workshops, and professional development programs.
- Responsible for keeping current with all Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham events and programs
- Act as a liaison with the media and provides all necessary information and assistance as approved by the Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham Development Officer
- Update all on-line media and external lists or services for stakeholders, as required
- Develop and maintain the editorial, production and distribution of e-blasts and e-newsletter content
- Maintain and update content and style of the website and social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, Linked In)
- Develop a new design for the Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham website, analyze accessibility and use on various devices, migrate content from the current website to the new website, test, and with Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham board approval, launch the new website
- Liaise with Varley Art Gallery of Markham Communications Specialist to review all Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham-related content on Varley Art Gallery website, social media channels and e-newsletters
- Liaise with sponsors to obtain their logos and advertisements for fundraising events programs
- Candidates must be have educational experience related to marketing, digital and social media,
- Have good knowledge of current practices pertaining to marketing and social media strategy
- Have a proven ability to communicate effectively in English (French is an asset)
- Knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Office, WordPress, Benchmark, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Linked In
- Standard First Aid with CPR ‘C’
- Clear and valid Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability,aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
To be eligible, candidates must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
The Varley-McKay Art Foundation of Markham is committed to employment equity and building strength through diversity as per the City of Markham’s Diversity Action Plan.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.