Applications are now being accepted for the above regular full-time position in the Engineering Department, Development Services Commission. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line by March 17, 2019.
Reporting to the Manager of Infrastructure and Capital Works, and drawing on your knowledge of civil engineering, you will see to the coordination and management of various specialized infrastructure and municipal capital works projects and initiatives, including environmental assessments, detailed design and contract administration, ensuring delivery on time and on budget.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (DELIVERABLES)
More specifically, as a Senior Capital Works Engineer, you will:
- Coordinate and manage various specialized municipal capital works initiatives and complete the projects on time and within the approved budget
- Prepare proposals and tender documents, including engineering specifications and drawings.
- Review and evaluate consultant proposals and construction contracts.
- Prepare staff award and Council reports.
- Provide supervision and direction to engineering consultants.
- Conduct technical investigations and studies.
- Ensure compliance with legislation, regulations, by-laws, standards and specifications, including Environmental Assessment, Occupational Health and Safety, Ontario Water Resources Act, etc.
- Conduct public consultation and information meetings.
- Attend consultant, contractor, committee and Council meetings, as required.
- Provide financial administration for all capital projects.
- Negotiate claims from contractors and consultants.
- Negotiate with agencies, developers and consultants.
- Act as liaison with other City departments, consultants, residents, special interest groups and regulatory agencies.
- Represent the City of Markham and provide input to infrastructure projects undertaken by adjacent municipalities, regional and provincial government agencies
- Attend public consultation and information meetings on behalf of the corporation
- Provide advice and training to other staff.
- Provide customer service to internal and external customers.
- All other duties as assigned
Your professional profile as a Senior Capital Works Engineer will include:
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) licensing in the Province of Ontario with a degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized university and at least 5 years directly related experience.
- A strong background in infrastructure design, project management, and negotiation, and an extensive knowledge of the Environmental Assessment process.
- Working knowledge of the Development Charges Act and purchasing/budget requirements
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office and Project Management applications.
- Professional organizational abilities with excellent written and oral communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
- Ability to monitor multiple multimillion-dollar projects and ensure strict adherence to budgets.
- A valid Ontario driver’s licence (Class G), with a satisfactory drivers abstract and access to a personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Ability to attend site meetings at various locations throughout Markham and Region during and after regular business hours.
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.