Land a temp job with lasting impact.
Join the City of Markham from April 8th to October 31st and belong to a team that truly cares. Our strong commitment to training, health and safety is unmatched by any other municipality. Together, we’ll roll up our sleeves and improve our community for family, friends and neighbors alike.
We need staff to cover shifts from 5 a.m. to midnight 7 days a week so you can always count on 40 hours of work every week. We’re known for taking care of our people – and a set schedule is just the beginning. You’ll also get above-average pay ($26.73 per hour to start), work shirts, regular daily breaks, and a personal day. And it doesn’t stop there. You’ll also have access to everything you need – from new equipment to safety gear and we even provide the sunscreen.
This is a special opportunity to leave your mark on the parks and green areas around you. You’ll not only work alongside a friendly team, you’ll have the support, resources and tools you need to make our community proud.
Here’s a little taste of what you’ll do each day
Here’s how you know you’re a great fit
- You may lead a small crew as they work with you to maintain the parks within our community.
- You and your team will be cutting and trimming, litter picking, pruning, and maintaining our playgrounds.
- Safety is our top priority for our team members. That’s why you’ll be operating new equipment like mowers, tractors and cord trimmers.
- You’re a natural leader and you need little supervision.
- You enjoy working with a team and your passionate about giving teammates the support they need to do a great job.
- You have a high school diploma or, something that’s equivalent
- You’ll have an advantage if you have post-secondary education in parks operations or a related field.
- You not only have your G driver license, but you’ll be able to prove you have a clean driver abstract before you join us. That means no demerit points on your drivers record.
- You’ve got hands-on experience operating various grounds maintenance equipment used in parks and landscaping.
- As we said, safety is important. You’ll already have, or are willing to get before you start, a Standard First Aid & CPR C certification from a WSIB approved provider.
- You have no problem with shift work. You can work with us from Monday to Friday between 7:30 am and 4 pm – rain or shine and are available if we need to change your hours or duties.
- We’re pleased to tell you we provide competitive earnings for our full-time temporary positions and that’s why you’ll start at $26.73 and increase to $27.18 per hour after 4 months.
We may decide that your expertise may be better utilized performing other duties within our Park Operations, so you may be re-assigned depending upon our needs and your skills.
Be part of something bigger. Join the City of Markham and help build our beautiful community. Apply now and before February 3, 2019 and make a lasting impact.
The City of Markham is a dynamic and change-oriented leader among Canadian municipalities. The recipient of multiple environmental awards, we are recognized for our innovative sustainability and urban planning initiatives as much as for our fiscal accountability. More than 320,000 residents call Markham home and benefit from our rich heritage, culturally diverse environment, vibrant local economy and focus on quality of life. We are committed to inclusive employment practices at the City of Markham.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meets your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied, however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.