Applications are now being accepted for the above position in the By-Law and Regulatory Services Division, Corporate Services Commission. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume online by May 29, 2019.
Incumbent performs screenings in accordance with the City of Markham Amps Bylaw. Persons who receive a penalty notice within the City of Markham who wish to proceed to a Hearing or who wish to plead guilty with an explanation must do so by scheduling a screening appointment which is reviewed by a screening officer. If the person requests a hearing the Screening officer completes the necessary documents with the individual and a Hearing is scheduled. The screening officer can offer a reduced fine in lieu of Hearing and thus avoid unnecessary hearings. The screening officer also hears explanations of persons receiving a penalty and has the authority to reduce the penalty within pre-set guidelines.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Undertaking of the screening appointments
- Data input of screening outcome into parking system
- Maintenance of the screening logs and monthly reports as required by the Supervisor
- Ensures the provision of screening office procedures concerning By Law infractions and consistent application of standards and decisions and provides advice on same
- Tracking of staff coverage-office procedures and operations
- Summarizes all interview outcomes and updates the penalty notice data base with the results of the interview
- Works closely with the Supervisor and officers to gather evidence concerning penalty notice activities in order to conduct screening appointments with evidence on hand
- Follows established provincial procedures and standard operating procedures when dealing with individuals who wish to utilize the dispute option
- Initiates Hearing procedures for individuals who wish to attend hearings to deal with their penalty by assisting with gathering relevant paperwork
- Provide notes for hearings
- Maintains familiarity with parking bylaw enforcement matters ad provincial requirements in order to conduct effective interviews
- Provide education of City Parking by laws to residents during their appointment
- Community College Diploma in Business Administration and Law Enforcement or regulatory law or equivalent.
- 5 to 7 years experience in police/ municipal law enforcement or Court Administration/ Prosecution duties
- Highway Traffic Act and AMPS (Administrative Monetary Penalty System) in thorough working knowledge of municipal by-laws, enforcement process, the Provincial Offences Act and court proceedings.
- Excellent judgment and decision making skills.
- Availability to work flexible hours; some evening work will be required.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and customer service skills with the ability to deal effectively and tactfully with the public and staff.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient keyboarding skills and knowledge of word processing software including spreadsheet applications.
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office