Applications are now being accepted for the above noted position - 6 vacancies, in the By-Law and Regulatory Services Division, Corporate Services Commission. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume by March 19, 2020.
Responsible for field enforcement services to achieve regulatory compliance with City’s Parking Control By-law, Sign By-law, and Shopping Cart By-law. Provide after hours enforcement of applicable municipal by-laws, zoning by-laws, property standards, site plan control agreements, and heritage by-laws of the City as required. Respond to emergency situations and complaints from the public, internal departments and other agencies and proactively investigate, document and determine appropriate courses of action. Required to prepare detailed briefs of evidence and complete necessary documentation required for court proceedings and testify to evidence in court. Provide the public with information on enforcement, interpretation of by-laws, regulations and policies and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to parking control complaints and emergency situations from the public, internal departments, and other agencies and proactively enforce regulations
- Investigate and ticket illegal parking within the City, including towing of vehicles interfering with traffic/ property access and habitual offenders. Assist York Regional Police with the towing/ removal of illegally parked/ abandoned vehicles
- Prepare detailed briefs of evidence and complete necessary documentation/processes required for court proceedings and testify evidence in court
- Provide to the public and staff information on the enforcement/interpretation of by-laws, regulations, and policies and procedures
- Lead and coordinate with peers special enforcement initiatives dealing with matters such as Accessible Parking, Fire Routes etc. Assists with Parking control and enforcement at City events. Assists with delivery of public notices and Council agendas, as required to
- Assist By-law Officers with their investigation of matters by providing after hours inspections/ surveillance and the reporting/ documentation of findings
- Attend meetings and training as required
- Other duties as assigned
- One to three years of By-law Enforcement experience
- Community college diploma in law enforcement, municipal by-laws certificate, or investigative studies discipline is required
- A valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence, and maintenance of a valid Ontario Class G driver's licence. As a condition of employment you will be required to a satisfactory drivers licence
- Clean drivers abstract (no demerit points and no more than one moving violation and one non-moving violation).
- A satisfactory police records check, and maintenance of a satisfactory police records check. As a condition of employment you will be required to provide a satisfactory police records check
- Municipal parking control or private parking control enforcement experience preferred
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
As a Casual employee, there will not be any guarantee of hours and you will work at irregular intervals on an “as needed basis” of not more than 24 hours per week. Casual Provincial Offences Officers are required to work at least one shift within a six week period.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.