Applications are being accepted for the Temporary Labourer - Roads in the Operations Department, Community and Fire Services Commission. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on-line by March 2, 2020.
The period of employment is from April 8 to September 2020.
Reporting to a Working Supervisor, you will be responsible for:
- Documentation and maintenance of storm sewers, drainage grates and culverts, condition of walkways and perform maintenance to same Construction projects.
- Backup to Operations Labourers Drivers as needed.
- Response to flooding calls, spills; may be involved in traffic control.
- Heavy lifting.
- Lead and provide day to day direction to students as needed.
- Set up and take down of signage, barricades and equipment for special events.
- Responsible for traffic set up for construction projects in accordance with Book 7.
- Operate various machinery; front end loader, sidewalk sweeper, sidewalk grinder, etc.
- Document and perform road patrols in accordance with Minimum Maintenance Standards.
- Operate light vehicles/equipment and hand tools.
- Day to day interaction with the public.
- Participate in litter cleaning and pick up.
- Assist with sign maintenance and manufacturing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Post-secondary education in roads operations is preferred.
- Experience in various hand and mobile equipment.
- Experience in roads operations.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent team player.
- Valid Ontario G licence and clean drivers abstract required (no demerit points and no more than one moving violation and one non-moving violation).
- DZ licence is an asset.
- Standard First Aid & CPR C certification from a WSIB approved vendor.
- Applicants are required to be able to perform all of the essential duties of the job as described above.
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will wok with you to meet your needs.
We thank all those applicants who have applied; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.