Applications are now being received for the above position in the Corporate Communications Department, Corporate Services Commission. To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter online by January 28, 2019.
Play a vital leadership role on our Corporate Communications and Community Engagement team in the planning, management and on-time delivery of both corporate and third-party events involving a multitude of stakeholders. Reporting to the Senior Manager of the Department, you will bring a communications lens to all activities within your portfolio – from developing strategic event plans, to overseeing the implementation of communications plans for Markham’s corporate events. A savvy, persuasive communicator adept at dealing with complex issues, you will capably manage and strengthen relationships with senior executives of sponsor companies, local BIAs and other levels of government, senior City staff and communications staff, and liaise with the Mayor’s Office and Chief Administrative Office, to ensure all resources are in place to meet corporate and event goals. We will also count on you to develop policies for a variety of operational procedures, make recommendations on the implementation of By-laws governing all aspects of events, and assist senior manager in developing and executing the reporting framework for events, key corporate business initiatives and deliverables, including budgeting and departmental business planning.
Key Responsibilities (Deliverables)
More specifically, as Manager, Communications Operations and Events, you will:
- Provide senior-level strategic support for all corporate events.
- Manage event staff, ensuring effective management and execution of events plans, logistics, relationship management, staff allocation, and more
- Ensure effective management of Council and Executive expectations while being sensitive to resourcing, policies and financial implications.
- Manage corporate and third-party events, ensuring effective communication with all stakeholders, appropriate budget planning and reporting, adherence to event requirements, policies and timely delivery, and, in the case of third-party events, appropriate charge-back of fees to organizers.
- Work effectively with community and regional partners to ensure events meet safety, security and health requirements.
- Develop policies and procedures for events, advertising, sponsorships, protocols for ceremonies and special recognitions, and event-specific by-laws governing event requirements, safety and liabilities.
- Manage recommendations and reporting on event grant allocations.
- Develop year-end reporting standards, including year-over-year comparisons.
- Work closely and seamlessly with the senior manager and communications advisor team to identify, manage and resolve issues.
- Act as the main contact with the Mayor’s Office, CAO’s Office and Council for all event-related activities.
Bring your expertise and passion for excellence to this role as Manager of Communications Operations and Events:
- You hold a university degree, preferably in marketing, communications, public affairs or policy development.
- Your track record of success includes 10 to 15 years in a communications environment, in the private or public sector, with experience writing and editing a variety of communications assets, in diverse styles.
- You have an extensive background in event management, with strong managerial and project management skills characterized by a focus on goals, metrics and reporting.
- You are knowledgeable about communication planning and best practices, and skilled in budget planning and reporting.
- With your high emotional intelligence, you excel at client relationship and people management.
- You are a strong presenter with proven political acumen and issues management experience, well equipped to become an effective, solutions-oriented member of the City management team.
- You understand the nature of the role and are prepared to provide event support after-hours and some weekends, meet needs during peak periods, and attend evening Council and Committee meetings, as required.
- Social media expertise and previous work in a government environment would be advantageous.
- Service Excellence: Focuses organizational resources on understanding and responding effectively and efficiently to customer needs.
- Change & Innovation: Encourages innovation and effectively leads, implements, assesses and sustains change initiatives.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Develops collaborative and high performing teams as well as effective relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Communication: Adapts communication approach to needs of audience and situation, and develops staff in this area.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Ensures work group behaves ethically and complies with expectations, policies and legislation; focuses work group efforts to work plan.
- Management & Leadership: Builds an engaging environment that supports learning, career development and regular feedback, and that attracts and retains high performing staff.
- Strategic Thinking & Planning: Understands and assesses complex concepts, trends and relationships; participates in business planning; makes decisions that align with the City’s strategic direction.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.