Applications are now being accepted for a Labourer/Driver - Patrols in the Roads Operations Department of the Community & Fire Services Commission. While all applications will be received, current members of CUPE 905 (Outside Workers) will be given first consideration. To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume online by May 20, 2019.
Responsible to perform manual labour, generally as part of a crew, and to operate light and heavy duty vehicles/equipment and accessories/hand tools for roads maintenance/repair work as assigned.
Equipment operated includes tandem and single axle dump body, 5 tonne boom and 1 tonne trucks with hoist, tractors, mott mowers, 3 yard articulated loaders, plow and wing combination units with spreader control devices, accessory equipment such as trailers, hand mowers, trimmers, chainsaw, jackhammer, sidewalk grinder both walk behind and ride on, etc. for purposes of maintenance and repair work related to roads, sidewalks/boulevards, culverts, curbs, catch basins, storm water management, barriers, snow removal, safety devices, etc.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Debris and garbage pickup, grass cutting, asphalt/gravel patching, catchbasin repair, sod repair and, fencing, traffic control and safety devices, etc.?
- Winter Control operations including snow plowing/removal, sanding/salting, handshoveling, debris removal, etc.?
- Compliance with Division standards and Health & Safety policies and procedures.
- Overtime, shift work and rotational standby as assigned.
- Responsible to provide backup support to other Operations Labourer/Drivers as directed?
- Contributing to a positive, productive, healthy/safe and respectful work environment?
- Fostering and modeling customer service excellence.
- Patrols roads and inspects right of way, for safe passage of all traffic.
- Patrols roads and makes minor repairs to traffic control signs, reports on malfunctioning traffic control signals, performs temporary pothole repair, removes debris or cleans up spills, etc.
- Loads and uploads materials such as salt, sand, cones, signs and shovels, etc. to and from the vehicle to conduct minor repairs within the R-O-W to ensure public safety.
- Prepares maintains and completes accurate detail patrol inspection and daily logs records for Winter and Summer maintenance activities.
- High School Graduate or equivalent plus roads maintenance courses.
- Demonstrated experience in and working knowledge of roads maintenance, preferably in an urban growth environment?
- Experience operating a range of light and heavy duty vehicles/equipment and hand tools, and with Winter Control operations.
- Knowledge of Minimum Maintenance Standards.
- Demonstrated skill in the operation of the following equipment will be considered an asset, tandem and single axle dump trucks as well as plow & wing combination units and spreader control devices for winter maintenance
- Operation of large articulated loaders, operation of 5 tonne or larger crane and boom truck.
- Ability to operate and perform routine maintenance & inspections on a full range of vehicles, equipment & tools as described above.
- Excellent work habits? good judgment? dependable, reliable, customer service attitude, time management, problem solving and record keeping skills required.
- Will be required to write knowledge test and road test.
- Submission and maintenance of Ontario Class G licence. As a condition of employment, you will be required to provide a satisfactory driver’s abstract (No demerit points plus no more than 2 infractions – max of one moving and one nonmoving conviction).
- Ontario Class DZ licence is an asset.
- Must be able to operate a Front end Loader.
- Must be available for overtime and rotational standby as required.
- Must be physically able to perform the bona fide duties of the job including heavy lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office