Applications are now being accepted from 150 Day Temporary Labourers – Parks who worked in the Operations Department within the Community and Fire Services Commission in the 2019 season ONLY. To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line by December 16, 2019.
New applicants are invited to apply to Seasonal Parks Staff posting, which will be posted December 16, 2019.
The period of employment is from April 1/ April 8, 2020 to October 31, 2020.
Please upload the following:
- First Aid and CPR-C Certification
The 150 Day Temporary Day Labourer reports to the Working Supervisor and is responsible for:
Job duties may vary and include but are not limited to:
- Lead and provide day to day direction to a crew of summer students involving grounds maintenance and annual planting of flowers and shrubs
- May be involved in the care and culture of trees including pruning, removal, bracing, stumping, planting and fertilizing
- General grounds maintenance i.e. parks, athletic facilities, boulevards, parks amenities
- Day to day interaction with the public
- Operate a one ton dump truck, towing a 16 to18 ft. trailer, and/or operation of other City vehicles including sweepers, large tractors, water trucks, loaders, ball diamond equipment
- Lift and carry full garbage bags, fertilizer, grass seed, soil, hanging baskets, barrels, brush and tree branches, etc.
- Participate in the set up and take down of the required equipment and items needed for special events to include picnic tables, tables, chairs, etc.
- Operate mowing equipment, tractors, cord trimmers, hand fertilizers, field liners, pole saw chipper, fertilizing unit, stump grinders, etc.
- Pull weeds and plant flowers, shrubs, trees
- Pick up litter
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Post-secondary education in parks operations, horticulture, arboriculture, or related field an asset
- Experience in horticulture, arboriculture or grounds maintenance
- Experience in the operation of various grounds maintenance equipment used in parks, landscaping or arboriculture (e.g. cord trimmers, mowers, tractors, trucks)
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Supervisory or Leadership experience preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent team player
- Minimum G drivers license and clean drivers abstract required (0 demerit points, no more than 1 moving violation and no more than 1 non-moving violation)
- Applicants are required to be able to perform all of the essential duties of the job as described above
- A satisfactory drivers abstract as determined by the City of Markham is required as a condition of employment
- Must be available to work weekend and shifts if required (shifts may be 8, 10, 12 hours)
- Standard First Aid and CPR C certification from a WSIB-approved provider
- DZ license is an asset
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meets your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied, however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.