Applications are now being accepted for the Senior Infrastructure Project Engineer position in the Environmental Services department within the Community & Fire Services Commission. To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line by December 3, 2019.
Ability to work extended hours or on weekend if required.
Reporting to the Manager of Water & Wastewater, the Infrastructure Project Engineer will be responsible to manage the design and construction of water and wastewater capital projects. The incumbent will also be responsible for the review of studies dealing with rehabilitation of underground infrastructure.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage water & wastewater infrastructure capital projects from inception to completion.
- Conduct engineering studies related to water and wastewater infrastructure.
- Prepare Requests for Proposals and carry out evaluations to retain engineering consultants for special studies.
- Prepare tender documents and evaluate tender submissions to retain contractors.
- Supervise and manage the engineering consultants and construction contractors.
- Review claims and negotiate with consultants and contractors.
- Ensures compliance to DWQMS by assuming roles and responsibilities as required on all elements of the standard.
- Liaise and coordinate with the City’s internal departments and external agencies to ensure the planned capital programs are executed in a timely manner.
- Provide input on annual capital program development and life cycle reserve study.
- Financial administration of all capital projects.
- Prepare reports, make presentations to Senior Staff, Council/Committees, and represent the department in public meetings and information sessions.
- Liaise and coordinate with the area Councillor, Rate Payer Associations and area residents during construction.
- Support Manager of Water & Wastewater and Senior Manager of Infrastructure in all matters involving the section.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) licensed in the Province of Ontario or eligible to register as a Professional Engineer with the Professional Engineers of Ontario with a minimum of 5 years of experience with direct involvement in infrastructure design and construction management;
- Strong background in municipal water distribution and wastewater collection rehabilitation, preferably in a urban environment;
- Extensive experience in contract administration and construction administration;
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint and Project Management applications;
- Detailed knowledge of applicable legislation, acts and standards pertaining to water and wastewater;
- A team player with demonstrated project management skills;
- Possesses excellent verbal and written communication, organization and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement and customer service;
- Able to manage multiple and changing demands and priorities; and
- Ability to negotiate/facilitate and present information to varied audiences.
- Service Excellence: Leads and supports staff in meeting or exceeding service standards when interacting with customers.
- Change & Innovation: Effectively implements change and supports and involves staff through change transitions.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Leads and supports staff in working together collaboratively, fosters teamwork and inclusion, and cultivates relationships.
- Communication: Models active listening and clear communication, and supports staff members in communicating effectively.
- Accountable Results Oriented: Role models ethical behavior and accountability; clarifies expectations, policies and legislation and supports staff in meeting them.
- Management & Leadership: Supports a positive work environment, develops and enables staff, sets clear expectations, provides regular feedback, and addresses performance.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent-free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.