Salary Range : 80,511.00 To 94,726.00 (CAD) Annually
Applications are now being accepted for the Environmental Engineer position in the Environmental Services Department within the Community & Fire Services Commission. To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line by February 17, 2019.
Reporting to the Manager of Stormwater, this position will be responsible for the review and management of programs, projects and major studies dealing with inspection, maintenance and rehabilitation of the municipal stormwater infrastructure and natural watercourses, master drainage plans, Class Environmental Assessments related to stormwater management, new development applications, water resources, and other environmental projects.
Manage special studies such as stormwater management, hydrology/hydraulics, environmental assessments and environmental impact reports
- Provide technical advice and guidance on environmental issues to internal departments, external agencies and public
- Prepare requests for proposals to retain engineering consultants to undertake special studies
- Manage the engineering consultants to ensure that the recommendations are in compliance with the Town, TRCA and other government regulations and standards
- Assist in developing new guidelines, policies and procedures related to environmental issues
- Assist in developing Life cycle reserve studies for environmental assets
- Develop and maintain annual environmental program to determine budget requirements
- Develop and maintain procedures for managing/updating environmental databases (e.g. erosion sites and stormwater facilities)
- Prepare environmental reports and presentations to internal and external committees
- Liaise and negotiate with various government agencies, consultants, City’s internal departments to ensure the planned environmental capital programs are executed
- Support the Environmental Assets group in all environmental engineering matters
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelors Degree in Civil, Water Resources or Environmental Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years experience in environmental engineering
- Registered or eligible to become a member of the Association of Professional Engineering of Ontario
- Strong understanding of relevant Federal and Provincial regulations and requirements, including but not limited to the Municipal Class EA, Ministry of the Environment Stormwater Management Best Management Practices Manual, Ontario Water Resources Act, Environmental Protection Act and Environmental Site Assessments
- Advanced computer skills and familiarity in the relevant software applications (AutoCAD, HEC-RAS, GIS, PCSWMM, InfoWorks)
- Broad knowledge of environmental asset management principles
- A team player with demonstrated leadership, change management and project management skills
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication, organization and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement and customer service
- Able to manage multiple and changing demands and priorities
- Excellent reasoning, administrative, research and analytical skills
- Well-developed computer skills and working knowledge of spreadsheets, database and word processing
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.