Applications are now being accepted for the regular full-time position of Building Inspector I in the Building Standards Department of the Development Services Commission. While all applications will be received, current members of CUPE Local 905 (Inside Workers) will be given first consideration. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line by January 10th, 2020.
Reporting to the Area Supervisor and Trainer, you will carry out site inspections of new infill housing construction including building, HVA/C and plumbing to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code, Municipal By-laws and other applicable law. You will also co-ordinate with the Building Inspection Administrator the program for the illegal occupancy of new homes. You have demonstrated excellent knowledge and inspection skills of building construction for all housing type projects, including detached houses, semi-detached houses and row houses containing not more than two dwelling units. You will issue field inspection reports, Orders or co-ordinate the issuance of Orders by special investigators in accordance with established practices whenever contraventions are discovered.
- Investigate and conduct all Building Code construction inspections related to new infill home projects,
- Conduct all pre-demolition permit inspections for erection of fencing and screening for new infill homes,
- Conduct all inspections for demolition permits involving new infill homes,
- Educate property owners and builders at the start of a new infill home project with their responsibilities regarding construction fencing, conformity with the permit documents and the implications of non-compliance,
- Be able to identify potential problems early in the construction phase so that they can be dealt with suitably by the appropriate City of Markham staff,
- investigate the suspected illegal occupancy of new homes and co-ordinate the issuance of illegal occupancy Orders and notices with Special Investigators,
- Issue or co-ordinate with Special Investigators the issuance of Orders for violations of the Building Code Act and the Building By-law, and
- Be a liaison between the following parties when situations arise involving a new infill home construction projects;
- Building Standards staff
- Building permit holders (owners)
- Other City Department staff, ie Engineering, Water, Trees and By-laws
- Members of the public
- Others based on the circumstances
- College diploma in Architecture or Civil Engineering at technologist level
- Certified Building Code Official designation an asset
- Eligible for membership in AATO, OACETT, PEO or OAA with minimum of 4 years related building construction, plumbing or HVA/C experience & successful completion of provincially mandated examination program administered by MMAH relating to:
- Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code (OBC)
- In the categories of qualifications that correspond to the types of buildings that will be inspected as set out in OBC
- Excellent working knowledge of the OBC
- Ability to read/interpret plans/specifications
- Commitment to providing quality customer focused service working in team environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Good computer skills
- Master plumber or Journeyman Plumber & sewage system inspector qualifications an asset
- Valid Ontario Class G Driver's licence and use of personal vehicle for business purposes required. As a condition of employment, you will be required to provide a satisfactory driver's abstract, police clearance and medical clearance
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please respect our scent free area by not wearing scented products when visiting the office.