(1 Position Available)
Term of Employment:
Rate of Pay:
Out-of-Scope Band 5
Reporting to the Director, Planning & Engineering, the Manager, Current Planning is accountable for providing overall leadership and management to the Current Planning team, preparing plans, bylaws and analysis to assist the team in achieving the community development goals and objectives. Considerable independent responsibility and judgement is required, in managing a broad and complex range of assignments, and addressing community development issues, in accordance with department, legislative and corporate policies, plans and objectives.
- Lead the team in the visionary aspects of department planning and development to ensure long term successful results for individuals, the department and the organizing, by providing both managerial and technical leadership to the team.
- Responsible for the oversight of land use planning and urban design; development and building applications, and permit issuance.
- Lead a number of business transformation initiatives that improve efficiency, service excellence and value for residents, builders, developers and stakeholders of the City of Lloydminster.
- Responsible for the formulation and evaluation of policies, standards and bylaws related to the ongoing management of growth and development in compliance with federal statutes, provincial statutes, the Lloydminster Charter and statutory plans.
- Build, guide and shape change that is consistent with the Municipal Development Plan.
- Provide direction and oversight to the City’s Building Code contractor for the provision of building permits, plan reviews and inspection services.
- Foster an environment that promotes a high level of staff satisfaction, teamwork and exceptional customer service.
- Observe emerging issues and legislation impacting the City and the political environment.
- Develops department annual operational and capital budget, in consultation with the team.
- Monitors and controls budget for the department, ensuring expenditures and revenues are in compliance with sound financial management practice and the budget plan.
- Understands the implications of financial decisions and impact on the department.
- Monitors performance and seeks efficiencies to save costs.
- Develops and implements purchasing procedures, which are compliant with the corporate purchasing policy.
- Creates an open, positive environment to stimulate discussion.
- Sets clear expectations, monitors, evaluates, rewards and develops performance within the team.
- Guides and develops people through employee success plans, career planning and development.
- Responsive to team’s strengths and limitations, to ensure the optimum utilization of staff.
- Provides insightful, motivating, and constructive feedback, coaching and guidance.
- Creates a culture that values, supports, and reflects diversity.
- Ensures performance discussions are completed, maintaining two-way dialogues on work, expectations and results.
- Liaison with senior leaders, by responding to their needs in a timely fashion.
- Cultivates effective relationships and networks with other departments, residents, regional partners, building and construction industry, developers, economic development, real estate industry and other levels of government in a manner that builds trust, credibility, and rapport.
- Negotiates and secures approvals from provincial and federal regulatory agencies.
- Engages others to support corporate and department initiatives.
- Acknowledges the contribution of others in achieving objectives and goals.
- Recruits and administers consulting and contractor services, as required.
- Inspires and motivates the team to take action to support a common purpose and vision.
- Motivates employees to achieve departmental and business goals and objectives.
- Ensures community and municipal department impacts are considered, in the delivery of projects and services.
- Encourages an environment that fosters respect and teamwork, while empowering individuals and teams to do their best.
- Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo.
- Serves as a role model in creating a work environment conducive to individual staff development, team achievement, productivity and professionalism.
- Ensures team members have the information and tools required, to work effectively to complete tasks.
- Other related duties as required.
Normal working hours are Monday to Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm with the occasional requirement to work outside these hours. Qualifications: The successful candidate must possess the following qualifications:
Closing Date: March 18, 2019
- Completion of a graduate or undergraduate degree in Urban Planning or related field.
- A member of the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- Minimum 7 years related experience, with at least 2 years of progressive management experience, ideally in a diverse municipal setting.
- Combination of equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Proven track record of success in leading, engaging, finding innovative solutions and working collaboratively with internal and external partners.
- Considerable knowledge of the theory, principles and techniques of the planning profession and development process.
- Strong communication (written, oral and interpersonal), problem solving, public/media relations, organizational, time management and analysis skills
- Ability to plan and lead at an operational level.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, team building, conflict resolution, business/technical writing skills, coaching and mentoring abilities.
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s License registered in Alberta or Saskatchewan with an acceptable Driver’s Abstract is required. This position may be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business purposes.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
Internal & External Application Information: The City of Lloydminster is an equal opportunity employer. If you have questions or require further information on this position, please contact us. All applications must be sent to the Employee Relations team and received by the closing date.
Nicole Feist HR Generalist
City of Lloydminster
4420-50 Avenue Lloydminster AB/SK T9V 0W2
Apply at: www.lloydminster.ca/jobs