Responsible for performing moderately complex data entry duties and applying basic accounting principles, including but not limited to utility billing and accounts receivable. Maintains the integrity of the utility billing system and accounts receivable systems to assure completeness and accuracy of bills being processed to all customers. Significant public contact with direct, written and telephone communication on inquiries regarding utility bills and service.
2019 Salary Range is $24.63 to $30.73 per hour. Hiring range is $24.63 to $25.55 per hour, DOQ.
Applications due by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, November 4
1st round of interviews the week November 18
2nd Interviews & Skills Test the week of December 2
Tentative start date: Monday, January 6, 2020
- Dates are subject to change.
Major Areas of Accountability:
Relationships and Contacts
- Responds to customer inquiries on the phone, in person, via email, reviews customer accounts and answers questions. Handles customer inquiries and complaints regarding utility service and charges and accounts receivable charges. Maintains utility billing system based on information received. Establishes new accounts, updates existing accounts for ownership and other changes. Coordinates with Public Works Engineering division on all streetlight and environmental resources matters and maintains database within utility system. Generates final closing bills as needed.
- Performs data entry of meter readings to generate bills for utility service for residential and commercial accounts with the City. Reviews all meter readings for malfunctions or misreads. Coordinates information with Public Works Utility division personnel on utility matters such as meter readings, water turn on/offs, and meter repairs. Reviews bills and computer reports for completeness and accuracy and makes corrections as needed. Prepares bills for distribution to customers.
- Prepare and mail delinquent notices; notify landlords of delinquent accounts if needed. Prepare list of accounts to be certified to the county auditor and file related legal notices and prepare mailings to be sent to the affected customers. Coordinate with Engineering Administrative Assistant the final listing to be sent to the county auditor.
- Process all bills, adjustments, invoices, payments, and bank deposits in compliance with financial policies and procedures. Reconcile both utility billing and accounts receivable ledgers to ensure all payments are accounted for and properly posted. Verify discrepancies and resolve customer billing issues.
- Tracks and maintains various sub ledgers and spreadsheets. Assembles utility and accounts receivable related information as needed for City Council and City staff. Maintains records in compliance with records retention guidelines and internal policies.
- Maintain and provide recommendations to internal financial controls and financial policies.
- Performs other duties as are consistent with the tasks of the position and as may be assigned by the City.
- Under the immediate general and technical supervision of the Assistant Finance Director.
- Communicate and work effectively with personnel from the Finance department as well as other city departments and outside customers and consultants.
- Responds to requests, inquiries, or concerns and delivers customer service in a manner that is positive, respectful and reflects the culture that is described in Envision Lakeville.
- Associate's Degree in accounting, finance or related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years of related work experience.
- Minimum of one (1) year of customer service experience in a professional office setting.
- Knowledge of standard accounting principles, practices and procedures including reporting and recordkeeping requirements.
- Proficient in word processing (Microsoft Word preferred) and working knowledge of Excel, Outlook and other applicable programs.
- Possess excellent oral, written and organizational skills. Ability to maintain open communications with all department staff and other key individuals.
- Knowledge of Auto Read, Advanced CIS Infinity, and Sage Software preferred.
- Experience with LaserFiche or other document management system.
- Knowledge and ability to adapt to automated financial systems and a broad range of personal computer applications.
PAST - PRESENT - FUTURE
"We envision a thriving, multi-generational community where families, friends, and neighbors connect, live, learn, work, and play. Great schools; a diverse local economy; exceptional parks, trails, and recreational opportunities; vibrant social and cultural institutions; safe neighborhoods; and responsive and cost-effective public services together create a place we are proud to call home."
- Diversified Economic Development
- Good Value for Public Services
- Safety Throughout the Community
- Design that Connects the Community
- High Quality Education
- A Home for All Ages and Stages of Life
- A Sense of Community and Belonging
- Access to a Multitude of Natural Amenities and Recreational Opportunities
- Increase Economic Sustainability
- Support High Quality Education
- Develop a Community of Choice
- Cultivate a Sense of Community
- Provide Services that Add Value