The City of Kitchener
is a vibrant and dynamic city of approximately 240,000, in the heart of southwestern Ontario. As the largest municipality in Waterloo Region, Kitchener continues to be poised for development and growth, enhancing its reputation as a leader in city-building and innovation, with nationally recognized strategies to build its neighbourhoods, its digital infrastructure and its diverse economy. Forward-thinking, the city has developed an integrated stormwater management master plan and a corporate climate action plan that will further its efforts to be a sustainable city.
Reporting to the General Manager, Infrastructure Services as the Director, Sanitary and Stormwater Utilities,
you will lead the planning, design, operations, maintenance and rehabilitation of sanitary and stormwater infrastructure and programs to ensure effective, efficient and safe delivery of these core, essential services to our customers.
As a visionary and strategic leader, you are a creative problem solver with a collaborative approach, and will champion the mission and values of the City to foster a positive and innovative workplace culture. You have proven confident, proactive leadership capabilities and are a strategic thinker who has demonstrated success in a senior management role within the public sector. Your exceptional interpersonal skills have earned you a reputation for building a positive, accountable work culture and developing and inspiring strong management teams and staff. A model example of exceptional commitment to customer service, you set the standard for a division that strives to provide the highest quality of services to Kitchener citizens.
The Director, Sanitary and Stormwater Utilities
provides strategic leadership to a team of approximately 40 staff, who is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the sanitary and stormwater utilities, developing and implementing utilities programs, policies, budgets, rates and strategies that are aligned with council's priorities, corporate strategic direction and regulatory requirements.
As a strong leader and mentor, your key responsibilities will be:
Developing a positive, accountable and service-focused work culture; ensuring staff understand their role in maintaining a respectful workplace.
- Ensuring efficient utilization of the Division's human, physical, and financial resources.
- Strategic, administrative, and financial planning for the Division.
- Establishing performance standards and service levels for the division.
- Ensuring divisional practices remain compliant with current legislation.
- Instilling a culture of personal and collective accountability related to service to the community.
- Providing leadership and counsel to divisional staff; ensuring continued staff/divisional quality by providing opportunities and resources for employee development, performance management, succession planning, and recruitment.
- Actively participating as an engaged member of the senior management team for the Infrastructure Services department.
- Engaging stakeholders and developing positive relationships across the organization.
- Participating in cross-municipal service delivery discussions to develop common goals and best practices.
- Writing and presenting reports to Council as required, and approving reports authored by staff.
1. Lead by example and expect the same of others;
2. Recognize accomplishments;
3. Collaborate with others to realize shared outcomes;
4. Enable others to be their best;
5. Look beyond today.
To explore this opportunity please visit our website at www.kitchener.ca. For internal candidates, please apply here: https://khub.kitchener.ca/employment.
Please note that as per Human Resources Policy #II-110, Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials:
"The immediate relatives of staff of the Human Resources Division, all Directors, Deputy Chief Administrative Officer, or the Chief Administrative Officer and Elected Officials shall not be employed by the City in any capacity.
The immediate relatives of all other Management personnel shall not be employed where such employment would be:
1. within the same Department in the case of permanent full-time, temporary full-time and part-time classifications.
2. within the same Division in the case of students."
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance. Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.