This is journeyman level clerical-accounting work in reviewing, processing, and maintenance of accounting or fiscal records. Work requires a knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures used in performing the more complex clerical-accounting functions, which involve the operation of standard office equipment such as typewriters, personal computers, copy machines, and calculators, and is learned on the job or through specialized training. Contacts require basic courtesy, tact, and effectiveness in dealing with others, and include contacts to request or provide information, ask questions or obtain clarification. The work is semi-routine where tasks are covered by procedures or precedents, and although patterned, some latitude is permitted to consider and choose the most appropriate technique, method, or procedure to follow. Work is performed in an office environment. The physical demands consist mainly of sitting or standing at a work station for extended periods of time, using standard office equipment on an ongoing basis, and occasionally lifting and moving light objects. The work is performed under general supervision where the work assignments are subject to instructions and established work routines, and the worker is given latitude to rearrange the sequence based on changing work situations or work flow.
Examples of Work
- Prepares, reviews, processes, and/or maintains purchase orders, requisitions, check requests, field orders, change orders and other accounting or fiscal documents, records and files.
- Codes fiscal documents for posting into automated accounting system.
- Posts transactions to proper accounts.
- Compiles data for fiscal reports and statements.
- Prepares periodic summary reports.
- Reconciles and balances financial statements and accounting records.
- Maintains time and leave reports and prepares payrolls and pay vouchers.
- Receives funds, prepares deposits, and reconciles bank statements
- Composes correspondence in appropriate word processing software.
- Prepares spreadsheets using appropriate software.
- Operates typewriters, copy machines, calculators, personal computers using word processing, spreadsheet, database and various accounting related software, and other standard office equipment.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville Core Competencies.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of general office practices, procedures, and methods.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles, practices, procedures, and methods.
- Skill in making and verifying mathematical calculations.
- Skill in maintaining accounting and fiscal records.
- Skill in operating standard office equipment and personal computer using word processing, spreadsheet, database and accounting related software.
- Ability to post figures accurately.
- Ability to match names and numbers.
- Ability to file both numerically and alphabetically.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to read, understand, and apply written instructions and job-related policies and procedures.
- Ability to transcribe legibly and neatly.
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, and related software applications.
Open Requirements/Supplemental Information
ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIRED
- A two year combination of education, training and experience in the clerical-accounting field which includes:
- Completion of a college level accounting course or courses for a total of three (3) or more semester hours of college level accounting course work.
. Apply at www.coj.net/jobs. NEOGOV works best with Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer version 11 or higher browsers. Please try to apply using one of these browsers. You may have to cut and paste the link into the browser's search area. Be sure to add coj.net to your address book to ensure you receive email notifications. You may also check your application status at any time by logging into your account.
If claiming veteran's preference, you must attach a DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy) or military discharge papers, or equivalent certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs listing military status, dates of service and character of discharge. If a candidate believes he or she was not afforded veteran's preference, he or she may file an email complaint or written complaint, within 60 calendar days upon receipt of notification of the hiring decision, requesting an investigation to:
Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Preference Coordinator