Posting Number: # 21399
Reporting Location: 611 Walker Street, 7th Floor
Workdays & Hours: Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.*
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Applications Accepted From: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
The Office of Business Opportunity (OBO) is committed to cultivating a competitive and diverse economic environment in the City of Houston by promoting the success of small businesses and developing Houston's workforce, with special emphasis on historically underutilized businesses and disenfranchised individuals. OBO provides business assistance to start-up companies, helps businesses navigate services that support growth and sustainability, additionally the department coordinates educational, legal and financial resources, as well as facilitates certification of Minority, Women, Small Business Enterprises (MWSBE) and Persons with Disabilities Business Enterprises, and the state Historically Underutilized Business and the US Department of Transportation Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE) certifications. OBO performs contract compliance functions on City of Houston contracts that include reviewing certified payrolls, investigating commercially useful function of MWSBE firms, monitoring professional/technical and goods and service contracts, as well as aiding disenfranchised individuals. OBO is also charged with ensuring that city departments and prime contractors identify and connect with certified companies to participate on contracting opportunities on city funded contracts.
OBO is seeking a Business Development Coordinator, whose responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following tasks:
- Certifying businesses for inclusion in City procurement, in accordance with local, state and federal regulations. This may include businesses that are owned, operated and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals, minorities, women, or persons with disabilities, small businesses, as well as businesses located within the City or local area.
- Determining initial and continued program participation by businesses based on ownership and control of the business, as well as business operations such as management, expertise, functionality, independence and Small Business Administration size standards.
- Conducting on-site visits and job site visits to verify the location, functionality, and legitimacy of a business through examination of the physical premises, equipment, inventory, day-to-day operations, staffing and business records such as bank statements, leases, payroll records, invoices, etc.
- Conducting informational pre-certification workshops and responding to public and business inquiries regarding MWSDBE certification programs or status.
- Routinely disseminating information about MWSDBE program requirements to businesses, the public, outside agencies, and City staff, including via workshops and seminars.
- Compiling data and preparing periodic reports, as requested.
- Performing special projects, as needed, and other position related duties, as assigned.
- This position requires weekly visits to construction sites.
The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Liberal Arts or a related field.
One year of responsible, professional administrative experience is required.
Directly related professional experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Driving is an essential function of this position, as the selected candidate must have a Valid Driver's License and be compliant with the City of Houston policy on driving (AP 2-2).
Effective time management and organization skills. Legal and or accounting experience preferred. Must have excellent oral and written communication skills. Knowledge of governmental regulations and guidelines relative to Minority/Women/Small/Disadvantaged Business Enterprises and Persons with Disabilities Business Enterprise programs is helpful. Must be able to communicate effectively with executives, administrators, elected officials, employees and the general public. Bilingual in Spanish.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6. **
SELECTION / SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Department may administer a skills test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
PAY GRADE: 18
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov. To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832/393-7238.
If you need special services or accommodations, call. (832/393-7238) (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided..