JOB ID #: 15674
Public Works Department
Energy Fleet & Facilities Management Division
NUMBER OF VACANCIES: 2 Full-Time Temporary
UNION/NON-UNION: CUPE Local 5167 Inside
HOURS Of WORK: 38.75 per week
STATUS/LENGTH: 24 Months
This vacancy is for a period of 24 months due to a special project.
Job Description ID #: 6989
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reports to the Facilities Management Supervisor and works directly with the City Hall; Downtown Facilities and/or Stadium Building Maintenance Coordinator and/or Supervisor. Provides general cleaning and maintenance services. Seven-day operation to cover maintenance operations, varying shift, to cover vacation and/or illness and/or events. Will need to provide coverage at multiple locations. Work in inclement weather as required.
Handyperson tasks; such as but not limited to; hang pictures, whiteboards, change batteries, change carpet tiles, adjust door closures, replace ceiling tiles, minor plumbing, minor grounds maintenance (winter/summer), moving furniture, painting, general maintenance, etc.
Provides Audio Visual (AV) support; provide cables and technical support to clients as it pertains to A/V; as well as trouble shooting AV issues while meetings are in progress (i.e. Council Meetings).
Place and remove field equipment (i.e Football Uprights, Corner Markers, Soccer nets, etc).
Ensure full circle check of sidewalks, gardens, and parking lots are fee from health & safety hazards, litter and any other obstructions.
Work on decorative fountains/pools, including chlorinating/PH, pump maintenance, equipment maintenance
Performs turf maintenance- grooming of field.
Performs graffiti management.
Backpack blowing while climbing stairs
Wildlife control (i.e. birds, squirrels, bats cats, raccoons).
Pressure washes (high power-fire hose) stands, walls, loading dock etc.
Inventories Life-saving equipment (i.e. AED, Fire Extinguishers, Epipens).
Dusts, mops, sweeps and washes floors. Sprays, waxes and buffs floors with buffing machine.
Dusts and/or wipes clean desks, tables, counter tops, cabinets, window ledges, chairs, telephones, screen dividers and computer equipment. Dust/wipe/vacuum all high areas (pictures, plaques, vents and louvers, blinds etc.).
Cleans drinking fountains and water filling stations, as required. Empties, picks-up and disposes of all waste, organics and recycling.
Cleans washrooms, toilets, urinals, sinks, counters, mirrors, paper towel dispensers etc.
Replaces paper towels, toilet tissue and soap in dispensers as required and brings supplies to work areas. Vacuums/shampoos carpets, runners and upholstered furniture. Spot cleans when necessary.
Set up meetings and special events, including but not limited to audio-visual, furniture, water, glasses, etc; ensuring S.E.A.T Guidelines are maintained as well as Municipal protocals
Reconfigure furniture as required according to corporate guidelines and standards. Assist with maintaining flag protocol using Working at Heights equipmen (certified or must attain)
Change various bulb types and to identify ballast replacements
Use automatic dishwasher and/or small appliances.
Assists & provides direction to part-time staff on their duties/general safety/technology
Interacts with internal and external clients.
Clears snow and salt entrances and/or walkways.
Works in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety.
Performs other duties as assigned which are directly related to the major responsibilities of the job.
1. Previous experience related to all duties; in a similar setting listed above; including but not limited to dusting, mopping, stripping/waxing/buffing floors, cleaning windows, vacuuming/shampooing carpets, waste/recycling removal, cleaning fountains, sanitizing, hanging pictures/signs, changing lightbulbs, changing batteries, meeting room set-ups, small repairs, patching/painting, basic plumbing (i.e. plunging), receiving/stocking supplies, move/relocate furniture, open and close work orders for assigned work
2. Knowledge of W.H.M.I.S. (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) certification or must successfully obtain within 3 months of obtaining the position.
3. Knowledge of M.S.D.S (Material Safety Data Sheet)
4. Knowledge of biohazard cleanup
5. Able to physically climb 20 flights of stairs, while wearing maintenance equipment
6. Knowledge of Building Automation (i.e. HVAC, lighting)
7. Capable of safely using hand & power tools
8. Strong customer service, public relations and conflict resolution skills to deal with internal/external clients
9. Have the ability to read and clearly understand written and verbal instructions for the safe operation of equipment; such as, buffing machine, vacuum, cleaning agents, work orders etc.
10. Basic mathematical knowledge, to safely mix chemicals (i.e. cleaning agents, fountain chemicals)
11. Able to lift up to 50lbs, as required
12. Must possess and maintain a Class "G" Driver's License valid in the Province of Ontario and a point-free driving record and or record found to be satisfactory to the City of Hamilton.
13. Archibus software knowledge is an asset.
14. Demonstrated ability to operate maintenance equipment and tools; including but not limited to: drills, screwdrivers, wrenches, leaf blowers, hammers, levels, bolt cutters, floor machines, buffers
15. Working at Heights training (certified or must attain)
16. Must be able to work in inclement weather ( ie: snow, rain, heat)
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification, and for internal applicants, subject to discipline up to and including termination.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We invite you to visit the departmental webpage to obtain further information on the culture and business of this department.
The incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this position and the workplace.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. It is also the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above for this competition as directed. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all applicants
The statements made by me are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for discipline, up to and including termination for internal applicants and disqualification for external applicants.