About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities - home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged empowered employees. Help us achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully. #BeTheReason
JOB ID #: 16019
Public Works Department
Environmental Services - Business Programs
77 James St N
NUMBER OF VACANCIES: 1 Full-Time Temporary
UNION/NON-UNION: CUPE Local 5167 Inside
HOURS Of WORK: 35.00 per week
STATUS/LENGTH: 18 Months
This vacancy is for a period of 18 months due to a maternity/adoptive leave.
Job Description ID #: 2854
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager of Waste, the Policy/Program Analyst is responsible for research, analysis, planning and implementation of operational policies and programs of the Division’s operating groups that meet the needs of residents and businesses of the City of Hamilton.
Researches and analyses, develops and implements new programs, strategies or projects, which will achieve the City’s short and long term operational objectives for the Recycling & Waste Disposal Section as well as supporting other Sections which deal with the City’s waste management programs. .
Researches, prepares and presents position papers on operational policies and programs as well as changes and initiatives to effectively communicate trends, analyses, and recommendations. Writes reports for Council, fact sheets and other internal and external correspondence.
Assists in the preparation of specifications, terms of reference, purchase order requests and other documentation for the purchase of goods and services required for the implementation of programs and projects.
Monitors amendments to legislation, regulations and trends in the profession. Interprets and ensures compliance with municipal and departmental policies and procedures and various specific by-laws as they relate to divisional programs and services.
Develops and implements strategies to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of programs and services meeting community needs, based on research, demographics and trends. Participates in grant writing and overseeing and reporting on initiatives.
Participates in the development of reporting mechanisms for the preparation and monitoring of annual operating and capital budgets for projects and programs, including effective cost control through utilization of performance standards, specifications, work programs and procedures, monitoring of cost control reports and statistical data.
Provides input on the development and evolution of performance standards for programs and services which ensure that identified outcomes are met.
Responds to inquiries in a timely and professional manner by investigating, evaluating and implementing solutions which focus on effective customer service.
Participates in an effective network of communication with management and other staff, various public/private sector agencies, user groups, contractors, constituents, City departments and other levels of government.
Works in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety.
Performs other duties as assigned which are directly related to the responsibilities of the position.
1. Proven knowledge of practices and theories of environmental management, waste management principles acquired by the successful completion of a University Degree in a related field or the completion of a College Diploma in Planning, Environmental Planning, Environmental Technician or relevant field plus related work experience or a combination of education and relevant work experience.
2. Proven research, analysis and writing skills.
3. Proven experience in customer service delivery programs and project organization.
4. Must possess highly developed skills in report writing, data analysis, written, verbal and graphic presentation skills, time management, organization, and the ability to participate on diverse teams and work with all levels of the organization.
5. Must be able to balance competing interests based on the results of research, best management practices, budgets and/or consultation.
6. Experience in evaluating programs, statistics and services against operational standards, service delivery, and budget requirements.
7. Strong experience in a computerized environment. Good working experience in Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Project, Access, PowerPoint, GIS, desktop publication and database software applications.
8. Possesses a demonstrated record of strong team advocacy, innovation/creativity, assumption of responsibility, and is results orientated.
9. Must possess a valid Class “G” Driver's Licence and the provision of a personal vehicle.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES A VALID CLASS "G" DRIVER'S LICENCE AND PROOF THEREOF IS REQUIRED AFTER HIRE.
THE INCUMBENT SHALL COMPLY WITH ALL HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICIES AND PRACTICES FOR THIS POSITION AND THE WORKPLACE.
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification, and for internal applicants, subject to discipline up to and including termination.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We invite you to visit the departmental webpage to obtain further information on the culture and business of this department.
The incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this position and the workplace.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. It is also the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above for this competition as directed. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all applicants
The statements made by me are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for discipline, up to and including termination for internal applicants and disqualification for external applicants.