The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Transit Operator in Training for the Transit Services Department. The successful candidate will have a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
Shift work will be a requirement of this position. No guarantee of hours of work but could work up to 40 hours per week Sunday through Saturday as required, on a scheduled and on-call basis. This includes statutory holidays, split shifts, evenings and late nights
- Provide excellent customer service and public relations to transit riders and the general public.
- Provide information to the public regarding transit routes
- Operate a conventional and/or mobility van/bus.
- Maybe required to transport and assist passengers with special needs, under the Mobility Bus program while providing excellent customer service and public relations to transit mobility passengers.
- Collect fares/transfers, issue transfers and document all incidents.
- Operate City buses according to Guelph Transit routes and schedules.
- Responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle and safety of all passengers
- Operate electronic fare equipment and Automatic Vehicle Location equipment.
- Keep the transit vehicles/facility in a clean, neat and safe condition.
- Fuel transit vehicles and check fluid levels.
- Comply with all City regulations, policies and procedures.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and experience in a fast paced, high volume customer service environment. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A valid Class G driver’s license with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract and if applicable a CVOR prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to deal with the public in an effective and efficient manner.
- Must be able to perform physical work (e.g. sitting for extended periods of time, standing, reaching and pulling).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work on their own and in a team environment.
- Knowledge of the City of Guelph is an asset.
- Must hold, or be willing to obtain within the probationary period, a B-Z driver’s license (note: the minimum age requirement for a B-Z license is 21 years old).
- A satisfactory Police Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Check is required at time of offer.
- Previous experience operating a bus and/or a valid B driver’s license is considered an asset.
$20.05 to $29.27 per hour (2019 rates)
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday December 6, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Qualified applicants will be invited to phase 1 of the recruitment process which will consist of a written test to be held on Saturday January 25, 2020.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
Apply for this job
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.