The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Auto Service Person within the Operations department. Reporting to the Supervisor, Fleet Services, the successful candidate will have a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Responsible for the inspection, lubrication and general condition of all light and heavy vehicles and equipment fuelled by gasoline, diesel and propane
- Responsible for accurate and legible record keeping pertaining to the work being performed
- Maintain a neat, tidy and clean work place
- Repair and/or replace all tire sizes as required
- Carry out minor vehicle repairs under direction of Licensed Mechanic or Lead Mechanic
- Assist any mechanic in repair work as required
- Wash, clean and fuel vehicles when necessary
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Experience related to the duties listed above normally acquired through the completion of a grade 12 diploma and 1 – 2 years practical experience working with relevant mechanical equipment, vehicle and/or machinery repair. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A valid ‘DZ’ drivers licence or have a valid G licence with the ability to obtain DZ within a specified timeframe in the position; have a good driving record and proven ability to operate heavy equipment and vehicles in a safe manner. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Experience, knowledge and understanding of relevant small tools and mechanical equipment as it relates to fleet maintenance and repair
- Must be a reliable self-starter and be able to perform a variety of tasks
- Computer keyboarding skills
- Must be able to physically perform strenuous and repetitive work in a safe manner including but not limited to heavy lifting, various levels of standing, climbing, sitting & crouching as required
- Must be neat in appearance and have the ability to communicate in a cordial manner
- Must be able to work with or without supervision
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
$26.85 per hour
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday March 10, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
Apply for this job
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.