Under general supervision, perform a variety of professional accounting work involved in preparing, maintaining, analyzing, verifying and reconciling financial transactions, records and reports. Maintain the accuracy of the general and subsidiary ledgers for all City funds. Provide general support to the accounting staff and assist citizens and city employees with accounting related matters.
Examples of Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintain accounting ledgers by posting and/or approving posting of account transactions to ensure that accounting entries are updated daily and are in accordance with city policy, applicable laws and regulations.
- Examine accounting records and reports, reconcile against general ledger, locate and correct discrepancies, and issue payments, stop payments, or adjustments as situation demands.
- Reconcile city bank accounts by balancing bank statements and city accounting records. Research discrepancies and prepare appropriate journal entries and listing of needed bank adjustments.
- Prepare journal entries for a variety of accounts, including fixed assets, cash receipts and liabilities to correct account information or allocate/transfer funds when appropriate.
- Update and maintain the fixed asset register and reconcile to general ledger.
- Develop and update various spreadsheets for calculation and reconciliation of various accounting operations.
- Analyze and evaluate account related problems to determine possible solutions.
- Communicate with other departments and outside agencies to resolve problems, provide information, and explain accounting procedures.
- Assist accounting staff with technical support and advice, and serve as backup support as needed. Supervise daily accounting activities in absence of manager providing guidance to staff and handling of citizens' inquiries.
- Manage and verify wire transfers, Automated Clearing House transfers, and credit card payments received.
- Reconcile sales tax payable accounts and prepare state tax returns for accurate and timely payments.
- Maintain file on all bankruptcies and billings due per tax records and prepare bankruptcy letters for City Attorney.
- Compile grant award information, record grants in accounting software, prepare grant award audit schedules, and monitor compliance with grant expenditures.
- Provide support for budget, CAFR and special projects as needed.
- Must be punctual and timely in meeting all job performance requirements, including but not limited to, attendance and tardiness standards and work deadlines.
- Serve as payroll backup
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of professional accounting principles, practices and methods in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Knowledge of state and federal laws, rules and regulations governing municipal accounting functions and activities.
- Knowledge of governmental accounting practices and procedures, fund accounting and fiscal management.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures related to accounting, including spreadsheet programs and automated accounting systems.
- Ability to perform specialized accounting tasks such as municipal fixed assets accounting or project accounting.
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to analyze, evaluate and interpret account information and verify the accuracy of financial data.
- Ability to apply accounting theory and principles in completing work assignments.
- Ability to make sound independent judgments within established guidelines.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and priorities.
- Ability to develop and maintain computer spreadsheets.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field and at least two years professional accounting experience preferably in the area of governmental accounting; or any combination of education, training, and experience providing the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform essential job functions.
Work takes place in an office environment.