The City of Fort Lauderdale is seeking an Accounting Clerk. The ideal candidate will possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They will effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
If assigned to Payroll:
- Receives, distributes, and processes invoices for approval; contacts vendors in case of any discrepancy
- Responds to internal and external inquiries and provides assistance and guidance with accounting functions
- Processes purchase requests for assigned Department by following procurement policies and departmental procedures
- Receives, audits, and processes documents from various departments
- Monitors, reviews, analyzes, and distributes payroll reports; participates in W-2 and 1099 preparation and distribution; maintains and files payroll related records
- Processes collection reports accurately and expediently and compiles data to record revenue
- Enters new or updated financial information into the City's financial accounting system
- Performs related work as required
- Processes payroll deductions, retro salary increases, wage garnishments, direct deposits, and IRS levy orders
- Assists Payroll Supervisor in processing bi-weekly and pension payrolls
- Assists the timekeepers with any inquiries
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT: MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalency
- One (1) to three (3) years of clerical accounting and/or payroll experience. Additional qualifying experience or completion of coursework at an accredited college or university in a job-related field, may substitute on a year-for-year basis for one year of the required experience.
will not be required to work during a declared emergency but may be required to work in some capacity after the declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine when the employee will be required to work.
PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The position involves light physical demands, such as exerting up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION: Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training & Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants may be required to take a medical examination and/or pass a drug screening prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form J-204.