City of Florissant is accepting applications for part-time Police Dispatcher.
This position works rotating shifts, including weekends.
- Monitors telephone and radio in the dispatch center, answers all incoming calls and ascertains nature of call, gathers all necessary information to transmit or relay.
- Dispatches police and other response vehicles for emergency responses; broadcasts nature, location and time of incident; contacts all required personnel and other local concerns such as the fire department in the event of an emergency situation; insures the presence of reserve units by contacting personnel designated for call-back; relays information as required.
- Maintains log on radio and telephone communications, location of personnel and equipment; in the event of an emergency situation, maintains ongoing contact with the responding personnel and keeps them informed of all incoming pertinent information; keeps track of various information such as traffic lights out and streets closed and keeps emergency personnel informed.
- Maintains dispatch center work area and equipment in clean and working condition.
- Operates radios as needed and assists in radio communications; operates base radio as required.
- Operates listed tools and equipment as required.
- Composes, types and edits correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other material requiring judgement as to content, accuracy, and completeness.
- Inputs data to standard office and department forms, both manual and automated; makes simple postings to various reports; compiles and tabulates data.
Maintains dispatch documents and records.
- Operates a switchboard.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent with specialized course work in general office practices such as typing, filing, accounting or bookkeeping.
Must have REJIS computer training certification.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
Some skill in operation of the listed tools and equipment.
Ability to effectively meet and deal with the public; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to handle stressful situations.
Ability to type.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Veteran