The City of Farmington is now hiring for a customer-service position in Utility Billing. This position is part time as a 0.5 FTE. This position is responsible for utility billing (water, storm water, sanitary sewer, street light and garbage) and related customer service.
- Establish service for new accounts (e.g. new home construction or business) and process account changes for existing customers (e.g. home sales, foreclosures, etc.)
- Organize, coordinate, process and review meter readings. Identify and resolve unusual meter readings. Prepare, review and process quarterly statements.
- Initiate and process electronic (e.g. ACH, EFT, etc.) payments. Enter payments received into the utility billing system. Apply penalties to unpaid accounts.
- Process billing adjustments related to insufficient funds, errors, seasonal service changes, utility rate changes, and fines. Prepare utility bills.
- Generate, review, investigate, and resolve unusual amounts for final billings (e.g. closed accounts). Process related refunds, if any.
- Identify delinquent utility accounts. Prepare and issue certification letters to affected customers. Generate information to accountant for certification to the county.
- Customer service. Educate new customers on services and billing procedures. Work with existing customers to process account changes and address concerns about their meter readings, account penalties, and the certification process for delinquent accounts.
Training and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED
- 2 years specialized or technical training in accounting
- 2 years of accounts payable, accounts receivable, or related experience;
- Customer service and computer experience;
- Or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the duties listed above.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of utility billing and/or accounting software.
- Strong customer service skills including the ability to maintain composure under pressure and the ability to develop positive working relationships and maintain a respectful work environment.
- Mathematical ability and basic accounting skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills including the ability to handle multiple priorities and a strong attention to detail.
- Computer experience (Microsoft Office, Accounting programs, data entry)
- The ability to handle stress and stressful situations.
Again, this position is part time; the salary range is $22.71 to $28.35 per hour, and there are no benefits offered.