Senior Scientist – Dynamic Modelling
Job Number : 38907
Reporting to the Director, Community Solutions Accelerator, this position will be an EPS expert in the application of advanced dynamic modelling involving large and diverse information sources for the purpose of improving public safety. The position will provide this expertise to all projects and initiatives of the Community Solutions Accelerator. The successful candidate will be one who is professionally driven to contribute to leading-edge thinking and approaches in the field of computer science and public safety.
The incumbent will bring strong self-directed leadership to constantly develop their advanced skills as new ideas, approaches and methods are created in the field of Dynamic Modelling and simulation modelling in general. Responsibilities will include:
- Use advanced Dynamic Modelling techniques to identify new actionable interventions to decrease harm to individuals and decrease criminal activity.
- Demonstrate complex relationships, patterns, and effective interventions within diverse data sets not possible to identify using standard descriptive and statistical techniques. This information would inform EPS and our community partners.
- Based on methods such as Multi-Scale Simulation Modelling, create evidence-informed strategies to inform serious violent events occurring in complex environments.
- Develop competency-based training and individual mentoring in initiatives/projects as appropriate e.g. application of Multi-Scale Simulation Modelling and Agent Based Modelling techniques with EPS analysts.
- Supervise the development and application of advanced dynamic modelling skill sets and models to the business and criminal intelligence staff.
- Create new risk assessment tools and improve existing risk tools to assist officers in managing risk issues thereby reducing harm to the public and to officers.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary scientific teams, and subject-area experts in policing and health, to create innovation to complex public safety issues.
- Supervise/mentor graduate students and participate in joint research projects with faculty of the University of Alberta and other universities.
- University graduate degree in Computer Science or related discipline. A Ph.D. is preferred or Master’s degree with extensive experience.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience working with large and diverse human services data to inform improved outcomes.
- For Ph.D. candidates, eligible for Adjunct Professor Status in Computer Science at the U of A.
- Ability to train/supervise/mentor others.
- Able to work independently within the context of a broad direction.
- Work collaboratively with subject matter experts.
- Professionally driven to maintain skills in leading-edge thinking and approaches in the field of computer science.
- Extensive experience with a wide range of methodologies, such as: Multi-Scale Simulation Modelling, Agent Based Modelling, Systems Dynamics Modelling, Discrete Event Simulation, Hybrid Modelling, Machine Learning and Identification of Multivariate hidden Markov Models, Particle filtering, Particle Markov Chain Monte Carlo, and Data Visualization.
- Strong software development skills.
- Knowledge and experience with modelling languages AnyLogic, Vensim and MATLAB.
- Knowledge and experience with Data Analysis Language R, Python, and Spark-Scala.
- Knowledge and experience with General Purpose Language skills SQL, Git and Latex.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- THE EDMONTON POLICE SERVICE WILL CONDUCT AN ENHANCED SECURITY CLEARANCE ON THOSE CANDIDATES WHO ARE SHORT-LISTED.
Hours of Work:
36.9 hours per week, Monday – Friday.
95M, Salary Grade: PT3, $84,597 – $129,456 (Annually).
- The City of Edmonton thanks applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Candidates considered for the position will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
- This position is currently under a review initiated by CSU52. This means that the terms and conditions may change at a future time if the review finds that this position properly belongs within the scope of CSU52. The review is ongoing with no current forecasted date of completion.
The Province of Alberta is a party to the Federal Agreement on Internal Trade, the Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility with British Columbia and the New West Partnership Trade Agreement with British Columbia and Saskatchewan. All of these agreements promote labour mobility between the Provinces. Applicants may obtain information regarding recognition of extra provincial credentials at www.newwestpartnershiptrade.ca.
HR Consultant: DZ
Classification Title : Professional/Technical - PT3
Posting Date : Feb 26, 2020
Closing Date : Mar 11, 2020 11:59:00 (MST)
Number of Openings (up to) : 1 - Permanent Full-time
Union : Management
Department : Edmonton Police Service
Work Location(s) :
Police Headquarters, 9620 - 103A Ave