Public Information Officer II 2 permanent and 2 temporary positions (up to 18 months)
Job Number : 37797
Four Opportunities Await You!
The Integrated Marketing Communications Branch in the City’s Communications and Engagement Department serves many exciting business areas to help move their projects, programs and services forward. You will help advance, enhance and protect the City’s reputation as you support the communications objectives of high-profile capital investment programs.
As a member of an integrated team of marketing, communications and public engagement professionals, you will embrace the challenge of balancing the needs of different stakeholders with the principles of building a sustainable city. You will work with colleagues and consultants to ensure that information about projects and public engagement opportunities are shared with the public in clear, consistent ways that demonstrate accountability and tell the story of building Edmonton.
Consider the two permanent roles that support Infrastructure Planning and Design and Building Great Neighbourhoods and Open Spaces. One role will support the Yellowhead Freeway Conversion Program, which includes several coordinated design and construction projects that will transform this major transportation corridor through 2026. The second role will support the Building Great Neighbourhoods and Open Spaces branch, which impacts how people live and interact in their neighbourhoods.
Ponder the two temporary assignments working on the Yellowhead Trail Freeway Conversion Program and infrastructure initiatives related to roads, buildings, neighbourhoods and open spaces. Both positions will communicate changes through the planning, design and construction phases as the City brings these projects to life.
In this fast-paced work environment, and with a focus on the City of Edmonton’s Cultural Commitments to Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, you will:
- Develop, implement, plan and manage strategic short- and long-term integrated marketing communications strategies
- Provide strategic communications support to public engagement initiatives within the branch and program areas to ensure integrated marketing communications and engagement strategies and plans
- Proactively and reactively manage media relations and potential issues to protect and enhance the reputation of the City
- Leverage social media in support of corporate objectives, including generating social media plans, creating content, and liaising with the Media Relations Unit to optimize social media use
- Work with clients, consultants, designers and suppliers to help create effective marketing, communication and advertising products
- Edit, develop and update web and 311 content
- Develop and lead the production of marketing and communication materials, ensuring products are on or under budget and consistent with City visual identity guidelines
- Apply well-developed client-based services and delivery in the context of highly-honed marketing communications skills and knowledge
- Achieve results within a service-minded, respectful and inclusive style
- Degree in communications, public relations or a related field, supplemented by a minimum of 2 years progressively responsible experience in a designated corporate communications, public relations, public affairs or public information position; OR Diploma in a communications, public relations or a related field, supplemented by a minimum of 4 years progressively responsible experience in a designated corporate communications, public relations, public affairs or public information position
- Knowledge of large-scale, multi-year projects or promoting public involvement
- Experience with corporate marketing and communication tools, marketing and communication planning, advertising, printing, graphic design, traditional media, social media and other web-based communications
- Demonstrated understanding of effective public engagement tactics and strategy
- Experience supporting effective public engagement activities for major project development from concept to construction
- Demonstrated experience in successfully creating, developing, implementing and evaluating marketing and communications plans
- Experience working with transportation planning or construction clients and supporting major capital projects is an asset
- Demonstrated experience with traditional media relations, coaching spokespeople and acting as a spokesperson
- Demonstrate proficiency using Google applications. Experience using Adobe Suite is considered an asset
- Demonstrated experience related to project management and communicating with stakeholder groups
- Superior issues identification and management skills along with proven client consulting and relationship-building skills
- Demonstrated superior written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated commitment to engaging a service-minded, respectful and inclusive style
- Applicants may be tested
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Up to 2 permanent, full-time positions and up to 2 temporary positions for up to 18 months as per Article 18.02 of the Collective Agreement
Hours of Work: 33.75 hours per week, Monday - Friday. On occasion, after hours work may be required.
Salary: $43.384 - $54.671 (Hourly); $76,431.760 - $96,316.630 (Annually)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: RF/KC
Classification Title : Public Information Officer II
Posting Date : Oct 28, 2019
Closing Date : Nov 8, 2019 11:59:00 PM (MST)
Number of Openings (up to) : 4 - Permanent and Temporary Positions Full-time
Union : CSU 52
Department : Communications and Engagement
Work Location(s) :
11th Floor Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue
Edmonton T5J 0J4