Project Engineer - Policy Development
Does bringing the vision of an integrated multimodal transportation system alive, inspire you?
The Policy Development section of City Planning is searching for an out of the box thinker with an eye for emerging trends and practices to join their team. They are seeking a creative professional who strives to see the world in innovative ways to assist in long term mobility planning.
As a Project Engineer, you will support the organization by ensuring that key city building perspectives on mobility and mobility-land use integration are applied so that we may achieve City Council’s Strategic Goals. You can expect to work on projects like City wide multimodal network analysis, active modes planning, and the City Plan.
- Support the development of complex, strategic engineering and related studies for the planning and assessment of the city’s multi-modal transportation network development
- Lead smaller scale, complex studies that will include project management, collaborating with internal and external stakeholders and presenting results in written and oral form to senior leadership
- Under supervision of senior engineer completing project management documents that may include but are not limited to business cases, project charters, project plans, budgets, schedules, governance, procurement etc.
- Manage consultant progress and review and approve deliverables
- Assist in the completion of council reports, including developing council report plans, presentations and attachments
- Review engineering plans,drawings, and technical reports from a policy perspective
- Transportation planning studies may include or require an understanding of transportation network planning and optimization, business case development, facilities safety review, transportation and parking impact assessments, or strategic level transit network analysis
- Understand and interpret transportation demand model outputs (such as results from EMME, Synchro or VISSIM models) as well as the application of engineering design guidelines
- Represent the section/branch/department and act as a technical resource to internal and external stakeholders on matters related to long term, strategic transportation planning and engineering
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with other City departments, consultants and stakeholder groups
- Develop responses to public inquiries on long term transportation planning and engineering including but not limited to active modes, goods movement, transit, park and ride, etc.
- Related duties as required
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering required; Master's Degree in Civil Engineering, majoring in Transportation an asset
- Must be a Professional Member (P.Eng.) or eligible for membership with APEGA (minimum E.I.T.). Those with an E.I.T. designation will be considered at a lower level
- 4 years progressively responsible engineering experience in transportation planning and policy/strategy development
- Thorough and demonstrated knowledge of engineering principles and practices are required
- Strong teamwork skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with consultants, developers, other City employees
- Exceptionally strong communication (both written and verbal) with the ability to collaborate, present materials and make recommendations to various audiences
- Ability to inspire and influence others to share vision and goals
- Possess good interpersonal skills to deal with conflicts, confrontations, negotiations and disagreements in a positive manner
- Proven ability to think strategically and laterally
- Ability to research and analyze complex technical issues and develop innovative and practical applications and solutions
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driver's licence (or provincial equivalent)
- Obtaining and maintaining a City Driver's permit is a requirement of this position
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Up to 1 permanent full-time position
Hours of Work: 36.9 hour per week
Salary: $73,738.000 - $105,340.000 (Annually)
Recruitment Consultant: SH/VV
Classification Title : PE2 - Civil Engineer
: Feb 1, 2019
: Feb 22, 2019 11:59:00 PM(MST)
: 1 - Permanent Full-time
Union : Management
: City Planning
8th Floor Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue
Edmonton T5J 0J4