Are you enthusiastic about interactive media technologies and library services? Do you have experience with 3D modelling, animation and interactive interfaces using a range of products and tools? Do you want to be a part of our new and exciting services that will engage and make a difference to our customers? If so, EPL is the place for you!
As the Interactive Media Developer, you will be responsible for design, programming, testing, and delivery of applications and systems for EPL’s interactive media experiences. With your strong analytical and creative problem solving skills, you will provide advice, expertise and deliver software development to projects as required. In collaboration with other developers, the Digital Exhibits Librarian and under the leadership of the Manager, Digital Initiatives, you will contribute to researching and integrating emerging digital visualization and interactive media technology into EPL public spaces to support system-wide STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) classes, innovation and customer engagement. In this role, you will be a major contributor to EPL's digital wall in the newly revitalized Milner Library - a giant, touch interactive digital display wall modeled after The Cube at the Queensland University of Technology in Australia.
As the ideal candidate, you are customer service focused and thrive on interesting and challenging work projects. Using your passion for technology and learning, you will develop training and resources to support customer experiences and enhance staff learning. We offer excellent work-life balance with professional development and a location in the heart of downtown with great access to public transportation.
- A related degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution and a minimum of five years of related experience.
- Experience developing large scale data visualizations is desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of sound software programming practices.
- Proficiency with C++ and experience in object-oriented design and implementation.
- Experience developing applications that include or incorporate multi-touch input, augmented reality, and/or virtual reality is desired
- Experience scripting within Unity 3D is desired.
- Experience and technical proficiency with Unity3D, Microsoft Kinect, or WebGL is required.
Note: Suitable candidates who do not meet the education and/or experience qualifications may be considered on a developmental basis.
What do you need to bring to this position?
- Customer service orientation.
- Technology skills to develop interactive media and digital visualization services and experiences.
- Effective problem solving and analytical abilities.
- Strong organizational, time and project management skills.
- Ability to create training and resources for staff and customers.
- Strong research, problem solving and analytical abilities.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
- A commitment to uphold the Canadian Federation of Library Associations position statements on Intellectual Freedom and Diversity and Inclusion.
Who we are:
The secret ingredient for making EPL a magical place is no secret at all; in fact, it's very simple: We share. We share stories, ideas and experiences. We share with our customers, our communities, and ourselves. We are Edmonton's largest lender of all manner of information and entertainment.
$38.56 - $49.22 per hour*
*Approximately $70,463 - $89,930 per annum based on a 35 hour work week. This is a new position. The Employer and the Union are currently discussing the classification and working conditions. In the event of a change to the recommended classification level, the resulting rate of wages shall be retroactive to the date of the appointment.