Assists in developing, preparing and administering a departmental budget providing financial analysis and monitoring to ensure effective oversight and financial management.
- Assists in the development and preparation of the budget for an assigned department to achieve accurate fiscal accountability and financial planning of expenditures.
- Monitors and analyzes expenditures, revenues, and changes in financial status in complex funds and budgets on a departmental basis to ensure proper accountability and financial management.
- Creates various department-wide statistics, collects, researches and analyzes data for various performance reports and annual external studies.
- Prepares routine monthly, quarterly, and annual reports such as cost analysis, performance data, financial target analysis, and expenditure and revenue status reports to provide appropriate monitoring for effective decision making.
- Provides non-routine reports and responds to special requests for reports on financial and organizational information including complex statistical forecasting models, trend analysis, impact studies, financial projection methods, issue papers, briefing materials, and bond rating notebooks to provide management information.
- Communicates with department staff, managers, other city departments and service providers to obtain or provide information, integrate activities and resolve problems such as reconciling department submissions with approved budgets.
- Reviews and prepares routine financial reports to monitor revenue projections and expenditure analysis.
- Coordinates meetings with departments and vendors regarding services and charges.
- Regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Bachelor's degree in public administration, finance or business field.
- Four (4) years of experience in financial analysis, budget planning/monitoring, or professional accounting.
- An eight (8) year combination of specified education and/or experience will qualify.
- Proficiency with AMS Advantage Financial System strongly preferred.
- Experience with preparation of and administering department annual budget, and processing budgetary actions such as delivery orders, requisition orders, invoices, receivers, internal transaction initiators, revenue, and cash receipts preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Office preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Working Conditions and Hazards
- Thorough knowledge of financial, accounting, and budgeting principles and practices.?
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles, accepted accounting procedures and standard practices.
- Ability to use computer software related to accounting and the budgetary process, especially AMS Advantage.
- Ability to analyze complex policy, financial, and organizational issues.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with all levels of management, city officials, vendors, other government agencies, other employees and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with a wide variety of people.
- Requires PC skills for spreadsheet analysis, report preparation and research.
Work performed under normal office conditions.