The purpose of this position is to collect and process payment for utility revenues and other miscellaneous fees, perform bookkeeping, and complete data entry of bills and refunds.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews and processes utility payments, fees and deposits; credits accounts, verifies money exchanges, balances cash drawers, verifies and posts payments, prepares daily bank deposit of utility revenue received, and schedules accounts for disconnection.
- Maintains accurate utility account records by researching, analyzing and correcting errors or misapplied payments, processing transactions to utility deposits and processing refunds, maintaining spreadsheets, ensuring adherence to record retention schedule, organizing files of payments, and creating payment journals.
- Provides services to citizens by preparing and sending correspondence and notifications to customers, informing customers of new programs or policies, and responding to inquiries and requests.
- Performs other similar duties as required
Job Specifications and Qualifications
- Cash handling procedures
- Customer service principles
- Mathematical principles
- Modern office equipment
Preferred Licensing and Certifications:
- Valid North Carolina Driver’s License.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must meet the City criteria for an acceptable driving record.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Positions in this class require: standing, fine dexterity, walking, lifting, carrying, sitting, reaching, handling, pushing/pulling, climbing, vision, bending, hearing, twisting, talking.
- Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds occasionally or negligible weights frequently; sitting most of the time.
- Following detailed work procedures
- Operating a computer and applicable software applications
- Providing customer service
- Handling cash
- Performing basic mathematical calculations
- Operating modern office equipment
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
High school diploma or equivalency and at least six-months to one year of advanced study, with at least (1) year of experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.