The City of Chandler Utility Billing Division is currently seeking qualified individuals to fill the full-time position of SR. UTILITY BILLING REPRESENTATIVE. This position will work Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm and includes benefits
The primary function of an employee in this class is to provide professional customer service to Chandler citizens and other employees. This position requires extensive public contact, responding to escalated or more complex customer questions, problems, and issues with the ability to explain complex processes and procedures. The Senior Utility Billing Representative is distinguished from the Utility Billing Representative by the assignment of more complex duties requiring a broader knowledge base and a higher level of problem solving and decision-making skills.
Essential Functions (list not exhaustive):
- Prior to approval, reviews new account applications received from permits to ensure compliance with various utility class and rate codes;
- Handles escalated issues from customers, explaining department procedures/policies/ programs; researches customer account histories with ability to make account adjustments and approvals;
- Balances daily cash drawer and prepares bank deposit paperwork;
- Responsible for preparing the bank deposit; confirms the cashiers daily revenue against the utility billing system; when problem occurs, researches issue, notifies cashier and supervisor and takes corrective action to resolve;
- Responsible for the electronic files received from banking institutions and confirms data uploads into the utility billing system; when problems occur troubleshoots and resolves issues;
- Assists the leads in evaluating and processing adjustments submitted by Utility Services staff; researches and enables the adjustments;
- Assists other City departments with questions and problems related to all water billing related issues;
- Has authority to approve reduction or waivers with billing issues;
- Assists the leads in researching and correcting problems with Utility Services data;
- Prepares, distributes and maintains a variety of reports, documents, correspondence, etc.;
- Assists in training staff on job responsibilities and customer service techniques;
- Processes requests for same day payment voids, auto pay set up, paperless set up, and resetting online passwords;
- Reconciles online and wired payments and resolves posting issues;
- Responsible for maintaining inventory of different denominations and coins to provide change when necessary;
- May review, correct, and post end of month reconciling transactions;
- May participate in user testing of the utility billing system and payment processing systems for user acceptance;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures.
- High school diploma or GED equivalency; and
- Two (2) years progressively responsible experience in customer service and/or accounts payable with at least one (1) year of large volume utility billing experience; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Course work in math or other business applications;
- Experience researching and resolving utility billing and payment issues.
The position available is regular full-time position and is subject to a six (6) month probationary period. A register of qualified candidates will be active for four (4) months should another position become available.
The City of Chandler will conduct a pre-employment background screen as a condition of employment. An offer of employment is contingent upon acceptable results. The examination process may vary if determined necessary.
The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation.