People, Place, Prosperity
Working within our Strategic Plan, Cambridge Connected, and committing to our values of Integrity, Respect, Inclusiveness and Service, the successful candidate will work together to help the City of Cambridge achieve our vision: A place for people to prosper – alive with opportunity.
This position works in the Economic Development Division which promotes Cambridge as a great City to locate a business and live in.
What you will be doing
- Provides leadership and initiative in creating and formulating improvements to the Division’s policies and procedures
- Assists the Director in providing Economic Development expertise to Council, senior management, the business community, developers and the general public.
- Manages the preparation of related studies either by staff or outside consultants, including the preparation of terms of reference and hiring of consultants.
- Represents the City’s/Department’s interests on both internal and external committees and task forces such as the Economic Development Advisory Committee, Manufacturer’s Innovation Network, Waterloo Region Small Business Centre Board of Advisors etc.
- Ensure employees work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, regulations, and Corporate Health and Safety Policies and Procedures.
- Responsible for the execution of Capital Projects including preparation of tender documents, contract administration, inspection, site meetings and compilation of payment certificates. Participates in negotiations with contractors regarding change orders/extras.
- Monitors and reports absenteeism, motivates and disciplines employees, maintains high morale and productivity of staff. Resolves complaints and issues from staff.
- Develops and implements a marketing strategy to promote Cambridge as a location for new business and a place for existing business to expand and grow
- Liaises with the local business community to assist with their growth needs and connects them with the support network for business be it upper levels of government or NGOs.
- Analyses and interprets economic information on the Municipality, Region, Ontario to develop policies and promotional material.
- Develops and implements the Business Visit program.
- Prepares the Divisional Capital Budget submissions.
- Liaises with government agencies, site selectors, realtors, development community etc.
- Negotiates property sales, purchases, leases and other real estate transactions. Obtains appraisals, environmental assessments, title searches, etc. as required. Identifies, develops and secures new business for Municipal and privately owned industrial/commercial land.
- Acts as back-up to the Director.
Undergraduate Level - Three years' or equivalent in Business Administration, Economic Development, Planning or related discipline.
Professional Planner and/or
Professional Land Economist and/or
Experience and Knowledge
Minimum five (5) years' senior level economic development in a municipal environment, including knowledge of:
- Municipal systems, policies and procedures to make recommended strategy changes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required for negotiating with clients; relaying information to clients, government agencies, other staff and the public.
- Knowledge of planning principles and development process is important in reviewing development plans.
- Knowledge of basic construction issues related to planning and engineering to manage Industrial Park Development Projects.
- Able to analyze data and addresses concerns of various parties depending on the type of initiative in order to reach mutually acceptable conclusions.
We will ask you for these items if you are hired
Proof of your current and valid certificate(s) and/or educational qualifications.
Supervisor Health and Safety Awareness Training Certificate from the Ministry of Labour (may be obtained post offer)
Valid G driver's license.
- Annual salary range of $98,503 to $120,126 (Non Union Salary Scale, Grade 7).
- Comprehensive benefits package including extended health, dental, travel benefits; long term disability; accidental death and dismemberment and life insurance.
- Enrolment in Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS).
Hours of work
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm (35 hours per week).
Advertisement expiration date
This posting expires December 28, 2018.
Accommodation needs and protection of privacy
The City of Cambridge welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please make your needs known in advance by contacting the Human Resources Division.
Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with the City of Cambridge only.