The Cal Alumni Association (CAA) is seeking an experienced Staff Accountant to join a dynamic team lead by our CFO/Controller. CAA is a long-standing, financially stable, self-funded, nonprofit organization with a $14M operating budget, four locations, seven revenue generating business units, and has multi-million dollar assets and reserves. The Accounting Department is responsible for ensuring the accuracy of financial transactions, and for providing timely financial information in support of the entire Association. Our Staff Accountant prepares journal entries, reconciles general ledger accounts, and ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and organization's policies, procedures and contracts. The Staff Accountant processes semi-monthly payroll and reconciles related accounts.
SUPERVISION: Reports to the CFO/Controller with some daily operational direction from the Senior Accountant.
- Process CAA staff corporate card accounts for reconciliation and payment; prepare the monthly journal entry for upload to accounting software.
- Prepare monthly closing and recurring journal entries for review and posting by the Senior Accountant.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Assist in monthly closing of all subsidiary and general ledger accounts ensuring compliance with GAAP and organization's policies, procedures and contracts.
- Assists Senior Accountant with the generation of monthly financial reports.
- Assists with documentation of Accounting Department policies and procedures.
- Assist with preparation for an annual financial audit by an independent CPA firm.
- Provide backup Accounts Payable support to the Accounting Clerk.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Process semi-monthly payroll using payroll software. Review online timesheets for accuracy and proper approval. Ensure compliance with California state and federal payroll laws and CAA internal policies; verify Employee Record is complete and accurately entered; confirm the accuracy of Payroll Preview report, and submit to Controller for approval.
- Update and reconcile employee deductions related to supplemental/AFLAC, retirement, parking permits, and commuter benefits, and other deduction data pushed into payroll software from the HR onboarding system.
- Create and maintain the annual payroll schedule and online timesheet forms for exempt, non-exempt, and student employees.
- Assist with electronic submission of employee 403b contribution deductions, employer match calculation and payment, and ensure employee status updates are reported to the 403b plan recordkeeper.
- Assist with annual workers compensation insurance audit fieldwork.
- Prepare payroll documents and reconciliations for annual audit.
- Set up and train new employees on submitting and/or approving online timesheets. Research and respond to payroll questions and issues.
- Document and maintain payroll processes and policies.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or business related field.
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Minimum of three years full charge accounting/bookkeeping experience using computers and accounting software.
- Minimum of two years of payroll processing experience using computers and software, ADP preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of California and federal payroll laws.
- Excellent financial analytical skills and the ability to create, improve, and document financial processes.
- Strong work ethic, well organized with excellent attention to detail. Ability to work efficiently, multitask, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills using accounting software, spreadsheet, database management, and word processing applications (MS Office Suite, Google Applications).
- Professional demeanor with the ability to work with and maintain the confidentiality of sensitive data.
- Ability to manage and prioritize projects under difficult time constraints.
- Able to interact effectively with diverse groups of people.
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends to support CAA and Campus-wide events in addition to assigned work-shift.
- Must submit to and pass Consumer Report and FBI/DOB fingerprint background investigations. Must possess valid CA driver's license and acceptable driving record.
- Knowledge and familiarity of the University of California, Berkeley, and the Cal campus.
- Not-for-profit and fund accounting experience preferred.
- Experience using Blackbaud's Financial Edge accounting software.
- Experience using ADP payroll software.
Salary and Benefits:
This position is classified as an at-will, full-time, non-exempt position. The pay range will be between $25-$30 per hour and is eligible to participate in company-sponsored benefits. This position is located in Berkeley, CA. CAA offers affordable medical/dental/vision benefits, access to campus parking, AFLAC and a 403(b) retirement savings option. CAA staff members are also eligible for many UCB faculty/staff discounts on campus. We have a friendly, relaxed but professional environment, and we pride ourselves on our team approach.
Please submit your resume. Please note Staff Accountant, in the subject line. Please send your resume and cover letter as an attachment in MS Word or PDF format. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your materials for consideration by May 31, 2019.
Deadline to Apply:
May 31, 2019
Founded by University of California Berkeley alumni in 1872, CAA is a membership-based, 501(c)(3) organization governed by a Board of Directors. Our organization operates independently from the university with a mission of engaging alumni in support of the university. Included in our portfolio of revenue-generating business and alumni engagement programs, CAA manages the Lair of the Bear family camp in Pinecrest, CA, the award-winning California magazine, Cal Discoveries Travel program, and three scholarship programs. Annually, CAA awards more than $2 million in scholarships to approximately 850 students. CAA is one of the most respected alumni associations in the nation and represents the global network of more than a half million graduates of the University of California, Berkeley. CAA serves the community of Cal alumni and students by providing lifelong connections to each other and to the University of California, Berkeley. We are located at the Alumni House on the University of California, Berkeley campus. For more information please visit our website: http://alumni.berkeley.eduCal Alumni Association 1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720-7520 1.888.225.2586
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $25.00 to $30.00 /hour
- Bookkeeping: 3 years (Preferred)
- GAAP: 1 year (Preferred)
- Payroll: 2 years (Required)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules
- Flexible schedules