The 32BJ Health Fund takes a dynamic, innovative approach to promote and maintain health security for union workers and their families. As part of that commitment, the Health Fund provides affordable, comprehensive health insurance benefits to members of SEIU Local 32BJ and their dependents. The more than 160,000 property service workers who are members of 32BJ include office cleaners, security officers, doormen, porters, maintenance workers, and others.We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and a fast-paced, supportive work environment.
The Health Fund seeks a high-energy Communications Manager who has a strong interest in improving the health and quality of life of union workers and their families. Candidates should be creative, entrepreneurial, and intellectually curious multi-taskers with experience developing a wide range of communications products. This individual will be crucial in helping advance the Health Fund's objectives with key external audiences, including hospitals and health systems, physicians and other providers, healthcare thought leaders, and policymakers.
- Develop external communications plans and drive execution.
- Routinely monitor the media and other sources of information to anticipate possible opportunities for Health Fund communications.
- Draft case studies, news advisories, news releases, background pieces, fact sheets, message documents, and other public-facing materials.
- Interface with and manage outside vendors to implement various communications plans and initiatives.
- Support the Health Fund Director by producing presentations, talking points, and other materials to convey Health Fund messages to external audiences.
- Liaise with Fund and Union staff members for content, perspective or direction on various communications as needed/required.
- Assist with Health Fund member communications as needed.
- Attend internal and external meetings.
- Prepare communications updates to Health Fund Board of Trustees and others.
- Build relationships with reporters and identify opportunities to earn coverage.
- Respond to inquiries from print, radio, digital, and television journalists.
- Work closely with data analysts to convert data into compelling communications products that can be sold to media and other external audiences, such as white papers, issue briefs and other insights.
- Proactively pitch Health Fund news to media contacts and constantly seek out opportunities.
Web and Digital Content
- Manage social media accounts for external audiences, posting on a routine basis to keep content current.
- Leverage social media as a tool to build relationships with external stakeholders and generate communications opportunities for the Health Fund Director.
- Build strong stables of followers.
- Conduct routine internal audits of website content to ensure it stays current.
- Add pages and content to website on routine basis, in conjunction with news releases and other developments.
Ad Hoc Responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Three to six years of experience in communications or public affairs; knowledge / experience with healthcare market in the Tri-State area is required.
- Demonstrated experience as a project manager and entrepreneurial starter in a fast-paced, goal-oriented work environment.
- Outstanding writer for a professional setting.
- Familiarity with new media tools and openness to expanding skills in this area.
- Evidence of sound problem-solving and decision-making skills for resolving participant and provider issues, processing, and workflow issues.
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple priority projects, and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments and planning.
This position will require occasional business travel (up to 15%).
*Candidates must submit a resume, cover letter, and salary expectations with application. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Job Type: Full-time
- Communications: 3 years (Required)
- Healthcare: 1 year (Required)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Employee discounts