Bark Lake Leadership and Conference Centre began as the Ontario Camp Leadership Centre at Bark Lake in 1948. Now privately owned by Columbia International College, Bark Lake continues to be the forerunner in Outdoor Education and in providing unforgettable experiences. We are located in the beautiful Haliburton Highlands, nested in Irondale, Ontario, on a secluded lake.
We provide educational programming to school groups, organizations, corporate leaders, and experiences to our wedding guests and cottagers.
The Challenge Course Supervisor is a program facilitator who carries a current Challenge Course Practitioner Level 2 and is designated by the Challenge Course Manager for their evaluated skills and knowledge. A CCS is responsible for the daily operations of the climbing activities (high/low ropes course and climbing/rappel wall) along with all other climbing operations from session to session. The CCS will be directly in charge of ensuring a positive and safe climbing experience for all clients.
Secondary Role: Program Facilitator
Program Facilitators work as a team to plan and facilitate exciting leadership, experiential and recreational - based programming for guests. Versatile by nature, each Program Facilitator serves as a frontline customer service ambassador prepared to take on a variety of tasks to ensure a positive and unforgettable experience is had by all clients; this is the Bark Lake Advantage.
- Leading up to three 2-hour climbing program periods plus an evening program if required.
- Preparing all climbing activities and areas for use, and ensuring areas are tidy after program conclusion
- Responsible for daily set-up and take down of course, maintenance of equipment and gear
- Assist with training of other staff with course related skills, protocol, and procedures
- Complete and ensure all information logs are up to date
Additional duties include:
- Assisting with Dinning Hall routine and Tuck shop operations
- Assisting with overnight client support
- Supporting the design and development of new programs for Bark Lake.
- Providing customer service through serving or bartending support to weddings and other special events.
- Occasionally assisting with Food Services, Housekeeping, and Maintenance as required.
Qualifications Specific Job Skills:
- 2+ year experience operating climbing activities (high ropes, climbing wall and low ropes).
- Hold a current Association of Challenge Course Technology Level 2 certification (other forms of climbing or low ropes training is as asset).
- Indicate a high level of competency and understanding of risk management dealing with climbing
- Be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Hold current Standard First Aid or Wilderness First Responders with CPR.
- Experience with leading large groups, and /or working in a camp, outdoor education, and leadership development setting.
- Comfortable with heights and have the ability to call or react to a rescue situation.
- Must be able to climbing, belay (ATC, A-team, Gri-Gri and Munter hitch)
- Able to set up and work a Rappel System form the ground and air
- A graduate or returning student of a post-secondary institution.
- Able to submit a clean Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check.
- Enjoy working with Canadian and International Youth in an outdoors setting.
- Be able to provide outstanding customer service to adult and corporate guests.
- Must be available from April 30th - May 4th, 2019 for Mandatory Staff Training
- Outstanding customer service
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to take initiative
- Excellent reading, writing and computer skills
- Able to work unsupervised as well as part of a team
Additional Qualifications: (Candidates should have at least some of these certifications)
- Swimming Qualifications (NLS Waterfront or pool, Bronze Med or Cross)
- Pleasure Craft Operator
- ORCKA Basic Canoe or Kayak or VC Instructor or equivalent
- ORCKA Canoe Tripping Level 3 or equivalent
- Ontario Certified Teacher/ESL Training
- Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness Advance First Aid
- Facilitation Training
- Food Safety Training
- Smart Serve
This is a contract position until October 31st, 2019
_Possibility for contract extension based on performance.
Bark Lake Leadership and Conference Centre is committed to workplace diversity and provides accommodations, whenever possible, to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please contact Bark Lake.
Job Type: Contract