Full Stack Developer
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference to the world.
We are a global group of technology consultants who combine leading technical domain and market expertise to offer world-class advisory services and solutions for our clients. Our teams have a deep understanding of our client's businesses, the physical and virtual environment in which they work and the technology trends and the challenges which exist.
The Arup Digital Insight team leverages cutting-edge technology to shape a better physical world. Every day we use elegant software tools, cloud-based web applications, novel automation workflows, geospatial tools, advanced data analytics, machine learning and more to advance the design and delivery of airports, rail networks, urban infrastructure, bridges, tunnels, skyscrapers and other key components of the built environment. Our employee-owned firm promotes and supports forward looking research and development, and our team is deeply involved in the conceptualization, design, development and deployment of next-generation digital tools for our industry. We are looking for talented individuals interested in advancing their full stack development skills, and excited about engaging experts across the built environment to collaboratively build new digital solutions to help us reshape the world around us.
We are looking for a Full Stack Software Developer with a wide range of knowledge and experience of producing software solutions within a dynamic environment across the development lifecycle. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, an excellent problem solver, and a fast-self-learner able to adapt to new technologies and platforms. The candidate should have experience of working within an agile development environment and be comfortable with working to deadlines and budget constraints.
- Full-stack software development of both web-based and desktop applications. You will work with development teams to build, maintain and use code stacks to deliver custom software solutions for our clients and teams, and digital products to complement our firm's current offerings.
- Engaging experts across the built environment. You will work closely with industry-leading designers, engineers and consultants to identify opportunities for digital transformation. You will be responsible for communicating complex information and processes simply to empower informed decision making.
- Participation in research and development. You will work with our R&D champions to identify critical, emerging technologies and perform strategic research with an aim to develop the skills and capabilities needed to deploy them on projects.
- Providing insight from data. You will collaborate with experts across a range of domains to identify and study data sets, producing visuals and other tools that empower Arup and its clients to make better decisions that impact our physical world.
- Support and mentor junior developers. You will take a leadership position on projects that requires technical oversight. You will support the professional development of project team members and members of the broader Digital Insight team.
- Assist in the development of product roadmaps. You will assist in the ideation of new projects and develop time and cost estimates for assessing product value.
- Communication through writing and presenting. Your role will involve the documentation of methods and outcomes. You will also represent the services and offerings of the Digital Insight team broadly throughout the firm, conveying the work we do to other teams through presentations.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or similar technical field of study
- 2 or more years development experience in a commercial environment
- Interested and curious about the built environment (no experience necessary)
- Research oriented, critical thinker
- Strong familiarity with relevant frameworks, especially Angular 8
- Strong in Python
- Strong in object-oriented design principles
- Experience using 3rd party APIs, frameworks and development kits
- Development and support of relational databases (SQL) and/or NoSQL technologies
- Familiarity with Agile Development methodologies
- Familiarity with version control tools such as Git or SVN
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Master's Degree in computer science or similar technical field of study
- Experience leading and/or managing development teams on projects
- Ability to genuinely think and work across the full stack
- Knowledge of statistics and data science
- Experience and knowledge in GIS, Spatial and 3D data
- Experience building web applications: Webmaps, websites, data visualization
- UX/UI research and design methods
- Experience with visualization techniques and libraries, e.g. D3.js
- Experience in DevOps processes such as docker and tools for continuous integration/continuous delivery
- Familiarity with cloud platforms such as AWS or Azure
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
- Mobility Mosaic, a mobile application for collecting advanced travel data and informing urban, aviation and transport planning (https://www.mobility-mosaic.com/)
- Long Island Railroad Expansion Project. Arup developed a project-specific web-based portal to aid in the management, programming and execution of this critical upgrade to Long Island's rail infrastructure.
- Multi-hazard design optimization of the space frame roof of the New International Airport for Mexico City.
- Queensferry Crossing Advanced Digital Sensoring, UK. (https://www.arup.com/projects/queensferry-crossing-digital)
- HS2 High Speed Rail Virtual and Augmented Reality (https://www.arup.com/projects/hs2-digital)
- 2nd Avenue Subway, New York
- Fulton Center, New York
- Pier 55, New York
- Dulles International Airport Expansion, Washington, D.C.
- Gerald Desmond Bridge, Los Angeles
- Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building at Dudley Square, Boston
- WW Grainger Headquarters, Chicago
- Uptown District Mobility Improvement, Houston
- Nasher Sculpture Center Garden, Dallas
- Transbay Transit Center, San Francisco
- LEED Platinum Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Headquarters, Seattle
- Queen's Way West Revitalization, Canada
- Agora Convention Centre in Bogota
Upon joining Arup your journey is likely to be varied and rewarding, giving you the opportunity to make a positive difference in the world. Outlined below are a few of the benefits Arup has to offer you as a FT employee of the firm:
- Global Profit Share - paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- 401(k) - with a dollar for dollar company match up to 10%
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Support for participation at technical conferences and events
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
- Short Term and Long Term Assignment Career Opportunities around the Globe
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.